heated seats

Gotta love that wiring . . .
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: heated seats

Post by spider2081 »

Just happened to come across this article.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/201 ... 2_ST_N.htm
bluespider

Post by bluespider »

Certainly worth keeping in mind. The best part of the article is the comments about the lack of common sense out there :lol:
Maybe I'll stop looking for a three way switch and just go with a two way switch and just hook up the low heating circuit and forget about the high circuit. I think I'll hook the heaters up to my battery again and see what the difference is between high and low heat settings. Using just the low heat will also take most of the strain off the electrical system
bluespider

Post by bluespider »

OK, I finally got around to installing these seats. The instal was fairly striaght forward, just a little adhesive to keep the heaters in place and then instal the new upholstry.Image
I wired the switches into the fuse box where power windows would have been if I had that option. That made it pretty easy.
I was able to find a lighted two way switch that would fit into the switch blanks, for the power window switches, on the radio console.
The factory switches with the heaters unfortunately had Hi / Lo/ and Off with lighting as well. When I installed these on my 2-way switches I had to pict the heat setting. I chose High. My wife likes it but after 15 miutes I am sweating. :cry:
I am going to either find a lighted 3-way switch that fits my blanks or re-wire my side to the Low heat setting. Either way I have to say it is really nice to have a warm back and seat.
I replaced all my dash lights with LED's to save on the electrical load but so far the drain on the system would probably been OK even with the old bulbs. Althought the bulbs are awesome and really bring the dash to life! Even the fiber optic lights! :D
BenjamminsFiat

Post by BenjamminsFiat »

Holy Wow! That looks great!

Where did you get the LED's to go into the dash? Sorry if you answered this already...

There's another thread where it's mentioned that LED's wouldn't be as good as incandescents since they are too directional. It doesn't look that way from your picture. Can you confirm that they work really well?

Out of curiosity, why didn't you do your clock light?

I'm glad the seats turned out great. I'm thinking I might try that modification next fall.
bluespider

Post by bluespider »

Hey Ben;
I did post some answers on tthe other post as well. I got the lights at LEDlights.com They really work well. I was going to do the clock but it uses a different bulb which I hadn't ordered. Next order, I'll get one!
azygoustoyou

Post by azygoustoyou »

Do you mean pair as in the top and bottom of one seat? Do you know the name of the seller from ebay? Thanks :P
bluespider

Post by bluespider »

Brady; the ebay seller was JDpower I beleive and the actual cost was $79.00 for the heaters to do 2 seats (back and seat).
I checked yesterday and they are still available on Ebay.
Kingme2
Your car is a: 1980 124 Spider

Post by Kingme2 »

I did the heated seat install too. Last summer I bought new leather for the seats, so spent the $76 on Ebay, had the installer set them in place... Lat weekend I finally plugged them in (power from the door buzzer, which I tossed), my gal LOVED them.

Seats and backs, the only way to go. :D
Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil, we have decided to turn off the light at the end of the tunnel. We apologize for any inconvenience.

1981 Fiat Spider, all black... "Corvino", italian for the Raven