Starter wiring issues

Gotta love that wiring . . .
ragtop2000

Starter wiring issues

Post by ragtop2000 »

I have been having on going starting problems. I discovered that the positive terminal where the main battery lead connects was broken and it eventually fell off causing a short in the system and melting the ground lead to the battery. I have replaced and repaired all the connections to the starter and the alternator. I have also cleaned up and replaced the main ground wire to the engine. When I went to start it up I get a loud click, but the engine/starter doesn't turn. Also the Tach jumps to 2000 RPM without the engine turning. If I turn on the headlights the tach jumps to 4000 RPM. If I try starting with the headlights on everything goes out. I don't have any shorts in the main battery lead anymore and I am pretty sure I rewired the starter and alternator correctly. I am going to check my headlight relay next for problems. If any one has wisdom in the meantime I would appreciate it!
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Re: Starter wiring issues

Post by azruss »

a loud click means you are getting good voltage to the starter. May be a bad starter and/or solenoid
ragtop2000

Post by ragtop2000 »

I just replaced the starter and tested it before I installed it. It could have been done in by the shorting issue, however.
kmead
Your car is a: 1969 850 SC 1970 124 SC 85 X19

Post by kmead »

I would look at your grounding wires to the engine. A bad ground there and in other places can cause some of the thing you are describing.

I would add a heavy gauge wire from one of the bumper mount bolts to the engine mount (the engine side of the mount). There is/was a ground wire off of the bell housing to the body but it may have burned out or been removed over time.
Karl

1969 Fiat 850 Sports Coupe
1970 Fiat 124 Sports Coupe
1985 Bertone X1/9
ragtop2000

Post by ragtop2000 »

Thanks for the recommendation to replace the ground wire. It started right up. The old ground bolt to the engine was stripped and loose, so I ran a new one with #4ga wire from the bumper to the engine mount like you mentioned. It shows how important the grounding wires are on these cars. Now I just need a day with out rain to cruise!
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Post by baltobernie »

Good diagnosis, Karl. Glad to hear you're running now, Ragtop.

I wasn't as careful when installing a cruise control on my Spider, and using either turn signal position sometimes caused the cruise to immediately drop out. Pretty thrilling on the Interstate. Weeks of head-scratching and phone calls to Audiovox didn't help. Found the dodgy connection accidently.