A CARPET THAT WILL STAY IN PLACE

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
racydave

A CARPET THAT WILL STAY IN PLACE

Post by racydave »

I just finished my carpet. I used insulation that is bubble pak with foil on both sides. The carpet was a runner that has a solid rubber back. Get a large hot glue gun, glue the insulation down. Then with no console, I installed mine in 5 major sections, glued down to insulation. Just trim, and tuck, a few small touch ups, and a stay put carpet that looks like one piece. Also installed small foot rest for left foot ( it had nowhere to go! ) 8)
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

pics?
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

F.Y.I. Home Depot has an outdoor carpet that it very very similar to the origional charcol grey carpet. It is looped and in rows, not the cheap pile stuff. Its just a shade lighter than the origional, but at 49 cents per square foot you can't beat that. Comes on a 12 foot role, I bought a 12 x 6 foot piece and it cost 35 dollars. Enough to do the cabin and some left over for a custom trunk carpet set.

Since I removed the origional sound proofing and insulation and replaced with new, I knew a precut carpet set would not cover everything. I just cut the new carpet pieces a few inches larger and trimed as needed.

Plan it out and make shure when all the pieces are installed that the loop rows are oriented in the same direction, front to back. Take the seats and the center console out and get it done in one Saturday.

I think they have black too, and maybe a red/grey

Matt
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

when you use house carpet, do you hold it down with a tack strip?
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

I got a couple estimates from installers, but when I told them it was a Fiat they all said that Italian carpet isn't ment to be stretched. Go figure.

So I decided to do it myself. The hardest part was finding a carpet stretcher and a knee kicker that would fit the rear floor pans.

OK, seriously. The carpet is more outdoor type, so if a leak develops or my heater core goes it will be a little more resiliant. Its not fully adheared to the insulation/soundproofing so If I need to replace a piece it won't intail taking everything out again.

They have black and grey auto carpet, but it is more like a loose felt. It stretches a bit to conform to contours, but it didn't look right, had a lot of fray/loose fibers, and looked nothing like the origional. It would also work well but it looked cheap.

Matt
racydave

Post by racydave »

It was 2 days before FFO 07 and I still had the nasty carpet job I did this spring. I chose my carpet accorcing to the backing and was in a hurry to get it right. The glue gun worked great with the right insulation and carpet. When I finish my interrior I migh post some pics. I recieved nice comments at FFO on my dash...