starter not disengaging

Gotta love that wiring . . .
ronj81

starter not disengaging

Post by ronj81 »

Hi Guys, Could someone assist on my Fiat.
My car starts right away, however I here grinding sounds on the starter it sounds like the starter is not disengaging. My ignition switch is new and my starter is new (reduction gear) I had this problem for quite sometimg and my car is just sitting in my garage for the past 2 years and now its time for me to revive her back to life.
Any suggestion would be appreciated in advance...
So Cal Mark

Re: starter not disengaging

Post by So Cal Mark »

low voltage to the starter can cause that, but I'd also check to make sure you don't have current energizing the solenoid at the small wire
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Post by azruss »

could have or are currently damaging the ring gear. pull the inspection plate off the bottom of the bell housing and rotate the motor by hand. Had a B with about 6" worth of damaged ring gear. every time the starter stopped in that section, it wouldnt disengage. Your current grinding sound may be knocking the tops of teeth.
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

This is just the new "Hybrid" Spider, even if the internal combusion engine fails to start it will move with just the electric motor. Gotta be some sort of Government grant you can get to work on this...
ronj81

Post by ronj81 »

So Cal Mark wrote:low voltage to the starter can cause that, but I'd also check to make sure you don't have current energizing the solenoid at the small wire

Hi Mark, I did more tracing and found that there are voltage coming from solenoid - I had my kid start the car then I full out the red wire from the starter and the grinding disappear. I just need some help on tracing this down...
azruss

Post by azruss »

well, you now know that the starter is not disengaging. Sounds like the 12V to the red wire is not dropping to 0 when the key is released from the start position. sounds like an ignition switch issue to me. The key may be mechanically sticking in the start position. check to make sure the key is returning to the proper spot after starting. If it is, then you probably have a issue inside the ignition switch.
ronj81

Post by ronj81 »

azruss wrote:well, you now know that the starter is not disengaging. Sounds like the 12V to the red wire is not dropping to 0 when the key is released from the start position. sounds like an ignition switch issue to me. The key may be mechanically sticking in the start position. check to make sure the key is returning to the proper spot after starting. If it is, then you probably have a issue inside the ignition switch.
Azruss, The ignition switch is also new - I am at to the point where I should just create a switch cut it off completely when the car starts but I am still waiting for suggestion to make it right.
azruss

Post by azruss »

Okay, that makes sense. Dont know if this is true of fiat switches, but i have seen many replacement switches that dont have the same plug-in pattern as the previous switch. This may be what your issue is. the way to test is use a meter to map all the connections on the back of the switch. you can unplug the harness, use an ohm meter. connect one lead to where the permanent 12v connects and measure the continuity to all the other contacts. look for one that shows continuity only when the key is in the start position and breaks continuity when the key is in the run position. your red wire should be connected to that post. There are situations where the switch is fine and the red wire remains hot due to a wiring error. most of those come from a bad ground. check the switch first to see if it fuctioning right and the red wire is to the right terminal.