Starting issue

Gotta love that wiring . . .
mik
Your car is a: 1969 124 Spider Convertible

Starting issue

Post by mik »

I have a 1969 124AS 124 Spider. I couldn't get started,like is wasn't getting gas. Turned over fine. After disconnecting the fuel line to see if gas was getting that far, I put gas in carb and it started and stayed started for 20-30 min. I shut the car off and tried to restart and the battery was dead. I checked the posts and positive connector was very loose. Could this have drained the battery? I tightened the battery connectors and jumped started it right up. Ran about 10 min. I turned it off and tried to start. Battery was still dead. Battery cables are original. Any thoughts, could the alternator be bad? Thanks for the help.
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Re: Starting issue

Post by azruss »

The battery probably needs to be put on a charger. To check the charging system, get the car started and measure the voltage across the battery while the car is running. Should read in the 13.5-14.5v range with the motor about 1200 rpm. If it is reading 12v or less, the charging system is not working. If not working, pull the cover off the voltage regulator (big rectangular box on the ds inner fender). you will see a couple of contacts in there. check to see if one of the sets is welded together. worth cleaning them up with some fine sandpaper. If all looks okay there, then you have a alternator issue.