Not charging

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Rascal

Not charging

Post by Rascal »

Car starts right up but the charging light is on and the voltage at the battery drops to 11.8 when I turn on the lights.
There's 3 fat black wires, a medium thick green and a thinner yellow/red wire coming out of the alternator.
It's not obvious how to remove the plastic shield over the terminals.
Are there some tests I can do with the voltmeter at the alternator (or elsewhere) or should I pull it and have it tested?

1976 Fiat 124 Spider.

Thanks!
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Re: Not charging

Post by azruss »

2 possibilities. most likely is the diode in the alternator is fried. need to pull the alternator. Dont know what year they eliminated the volt regulator box on the driver side inner fender. If you have that, you could have welded contacts inside.
thefiatek

Post by thefiatek »

Check the fuses first. I think it's #7 or #8 Also the charge relay should be the one on the bottom right if your standing next to the car facing the Alternator (if they haven't been moved around)
Rascal

Post by Rascal »

It looks like the output of the alternator goes right to the battery, so I'm afraid you're probably right, azruss.
No voltage to the battery, no output form the alternator.
Could be the brushes, but either way it has to come out.
Rascal

Post by Rascal »

Well, I really believe in miracles now. I took a peek at the fuse box and there was this fat wire hanging loose. I plugged it back in to the empty terminal and Voila! Charging light is off and voltage at the battery reads 14.7
The wire just barely reaches the terminal block with no slack to spare.
I guess the first step is always, "is it plugged in?" Amazing how often that's the problem.