Fixing clock and face question

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
kensmith

Fixing clock and face question

Post by kensmith »

My 1978 Spider clock isn't working and the face has yellowed. I guess the wire is probably disconnected as someone usually does this to save the battery from dying during the winter. The face is also yellowed while my other gauges are nice and clear. Any help with how to fix both? Does it need to be removed from the dash or can the face come off from the front? I sure wish the shop manuals had more information and pictures on interior repairs. Guess they figure drive-train is way more the problem areas. :lol:
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Re: Fixing clock and face question

Post by azruss »

you need to remove the instrument console. just unscrew the 4 screws and carefully slide it out. The clock is probably still wired up. one clock in 100 works. there is a u-bracket holding the gage in. remove that and the gage falls out. now is the tricky part. to remove the bezel, you have to carefully bend the bezel ring crimp so the ring can be removed. check the fiat sources to see if anyone has new bezels. If not, a glass or plastics place can fix you up. As far as fixing the clock, i've never been so moved to look into one.
ronarthur
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat Spider

Post by ronarthur »

Check with radiopilot. He has been restoring clocks for a number of people.
cincifiat
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Spider Automatic

Post by cincifiat »

Yea Radiopilot did mine looks like brand new one (Radiopilot is a forum member)

Good Luck

ray
Red76

Post by Red76 »

Is that normal, the clock going yellow? Mine is the same way (yellow) but the rest of the gauges are nice and clear. However I'm lucky I guess, it still keeps time like it should.
cincifiat
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Spider Automatic

Post by cincifiat »

Yes very normal They used plastic for the clock face so they could put a hole in it for the knob to set the clock.
Over time the plastic yellows. :cry:

Ray
radiopilot

Post by radiopilot »

I apologize for being away from the forum for some time due to family issues and now work.

I've been following this thread and just so everyone knows the acrylic I use is a 10 year gauranteed non yellowing UV stabilised clear lens, and that is in full sun, if you garage/cover the car the lens will be clear for more than 20-30 years... All my clock/gauge restorations (those that do not use glass for the lens) gets this clear lens, worry free, scratch free, and super strong compared to glass. :D

Cheers,

Nick
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

Nick
are you back restoring gauges again?
radiopilot

Post by radiopilot »

Mark,

Yes... I am but on a limited basis as right now I'm on travel and resting in my hotel due to my 'real work' so I have to be away from home for several weeks. :(

I fly home for the weekends so I'll be able to pick up some restorations then. Right now I'm swamped with clocks/gauge restorations and about one month behind and many want these instruments back on the cars due to the nice driving weather. :D

If you don't mind several weeks before I get to them and have a dummy gauge to take it's place then send them in and I'll get it restored when I can. I just sent George and Bruce their restorations. :shock:

Cheers,

Nick
narfire
Your car is a: 1980 124 spider

Post by narfire »

Nick, thank you sooo much for the restoration on my clocks. Timing was absolutely perfect (pun intended) as are the clocks themselves.I recently sold a spider and a reconditioned clock will be installed later this weekend.
Thanks again Nick,great job.
Chris
80 FI spider
72 work in progress
2017 Golf R ( APR Stg. 1)
2018 F350 crew long box