exhaust system advice

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
backyardbill

exhaust system advice

Post by backyardbill »

I am installing a new exhaust system. The new parts don't fit quite right, and will need some custom work. I am concerned with 2 thing before I start cutting and pasting:

1. minimum space needed between the muffler and bottom of trunk (heat), and
2 clearence needed for the travel of the panhard rod.

Here are some photos: http://www.glocktech.net/fiat/restorati ... system.htm

I looked at many photos of other spiders on the net and the positioning of the rear muffler is all over the place, from up snug with the tail pipe cutout in the rear valance, to dangling down way below that :? .

Any thoughts?
WYSpider

Re: exhaust system advice

Post by WYSpider »

Your old muffler doesn't look like the original off my 1980, but your new one does look original except for the hanger position.

Also your second picture looks like how the stock muffler looked on mine.
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

Bill, the old muff was something probably fabed up by a local muffler shop. The new muffler is "right" with the exception of the hanger bracket locations. You can weld, so it should not be a problem, It looks in one of the pictures the rear seam of the new muffler is butted against the rear valance of the car, you will want some clearance there. As the exhaust system moves independent of the body the muffler does not bang on the rear valance.

I would support the rear axles and load up the rear seat and trunk with a "considerable" amount of weight. Position the muffler pipe mid way between the body and pan hard bar and keep the back of the muffler off the body, then relocate the hanger straps. The rubber hanger straps will determine how far down the muffler hangs, however you can always drill more holes in the bracket at the underside of the trunk to raise or lower the muffler after its installed.
backyardbill

Post by backyardbill »

Thanks for the reply. There is about a 1/2" space between the rear valence and the muffler at its current temporary position. Good idea on loading up the rear end to flex the suspension. I will do that before locking in the position of the rear muffler.
reinaldo

Post by reinaldo »

I agree with the idea that the old muffler fabed from local muffler shop. I'm thiking if it's possible to put this type of full exhaust systems as an alternative though.