Wire near alternator not plugged in ?????

Gotta love that wiring . . .
kensmith

Wire near alternator not plugged in ?????

Post by kensmith »

I found a red/gray strip wire with a plastic female end not connected to anything near the back of the alternator. Is it an extra wire for an amp gauge? The white plastic end does have the letters AMP on it. I have a 1978 Spider and I don't have an AMP or VOLT meter. Maybe an idiot light? Help with identification of the wire please. Thanks
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Re: Wire near alternator not plugged in ?????

Post by manoa matt »

That wire is for the idle stop solenoid on the carb. AMP is the manufacturer of the plastic electrical connectors. You need a wiring diagram. http://www.artigue.com/fiat/wiring/Wiring_1978.pdf
kensmith

Post by kensmith »

manoa matt wrote:That wire is for the idle stop solenoid on the carb. AMP is the manufacturer of the plastic electrical connectors. You need a wiring diagram. http://www.artigue.com/fiat/wiring/Wiring_1978.pdf
Matt,

That was is plugged in already and has an orange wire alongside it. This is a single red/silver wire and the other side of the plastic end has the number 180984.

I also see a gray/red wire for low oil pressure idiot light on the diagram you attached. I have a hard time with the diagram since I am not sure what all the junctions mean. I will take a pic and attach it. Maybe that will help?

manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

The 180984 number is the part number of the plastic connector and does not mean anything. The low oil pressure wire is grey with a yellow stripe.

Follow that grey wire with the red stripe, on the other end is another female connector with a pink wire.
kensmith

Post by kensmith »

manoa matt wrote:The 180984 number is the part number of the plastic connector and does not mean anything. The low oil pressure wire is grey with a yellow stripe.

Follow that grey wire with the red stripe, on the other end is another female connector with a pink wire.
I was looking at the diagram you posted and if you look at the fuel gauge on the left side, just above it is a junction with a gray/red wire that goes to the fuel tank sending unit. I am very confused as the diagram looks nothing like the actual car connections. I guess I should start looking for a male connector within the proximity of the female connector.