Bad ground?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
artmunson

Bad ground?

Post by artmunson »

I have just read a couple comments on the "dim headlight" thread. I figure the "headlight kits" would probably help but, I think I just have a bad ground somewhere but have not found it yet. The voltage to the headlights is only about 10v, the wipers are slow and everything just points to weak ground. Where are some common places that need attention?
Thanks for any help.
Art
digitech
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider

Re: Bad ground?

Post by digitech »

There are 3 gnd. pods, 2 under the hood on each fender and 1 under the dash. Completely disassemble and clean these along with where they attach. Also verify the underside ground cable from car body to trans. That's where I'd start.
artmunson

Post by artmunson »

Thanks. I did search the forum a bit more last night. I am excited to spend some time working on the car my next day off. I think I will go through all the grounds,add one or two and do the "brown wire" mod.
I cant wait to see bright headlights,dash lights and fast wipers....will let everyone know how it goes! Thanks again!
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

If you only have 10volts to headlights that is not a ground problem. Headlight need voltage, the more the better. SHould be 13-14volts engine running
divace73
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat 124 Spider Silver

Post by divace73 »

Try swapping or replacing the ignition switch and also do a search for 'the brown wire fix", then relay every thing that you can to avoid large currents being pulled through the ignition switch
Cheers David
-=1980 silver Fiat 124 Spider=-
If you want to see pics of my car (and other random stuff) >>click here<< OR
see my >>You tube channel<<
artmunson

Post by artmunson »

Thanks for your help. I will post results Thurs night.
Art
SpiderJim

Post by SpiderJim »

It is not always just a crappy ground. The feed (plus) side of the circuits can also cause these problems. I have found both ground and feeds to be the issue. You need both to complete a circuit. Add crap quality switches that have worn contacts and also weak and or dirty fuse contacts will and have caused the same voltage drops along with bad grounds. I always go through every connector and ground point in the car and clean every contact. Squirting contact cleaner is almost a total waste of money and time. I have installed the light and starter relays with very positive results.

I have also changed out many connectors to US made ones with excellent improvements. Another thing I did was to remove all the non-funtioning harnesses and wires that proliferate throughout these cars for factory options such as power windows, AC etc. Last and final job to do is replace the fuse block to modern spade type. A little hard work or stuck on the side of the road........ OUR CHOICE!!!!
artmunson

Post by artmunson »

Thanks to all of you "Fiat Lovers" out there!!! I checked/cleaned most of the grounds(again) as well as checked the voltage at battery/starter/alternator/ign. switch. The voltage was not real low(12.35 @ battery & 12.1-12.2 everywhere else) but I decided I JUST HAD to try this "brown wire fix"....10 minutes later 12.65v at the headlights when running!!!! Disconnect the extra wire to the switch=12.1 at the headlights. Even though it is only a half a volt, I can tell the difference driving down the road! Wipers and dash lights also seem better! Thanks again!
Art
BenjamminsFiat

Post by BenjamminsFiat »

Really glad to hear you fixed your issue! I did the brown wire fix as well recently and it helped me a bunch.

Yesterday, I received the 95-amp alternator for the upgrade that's documented here and other places. I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing how much that helps. going to be a big step up from my 53-amp externally regulated stock unit : )

Ben
artmunson

Post by artmunson »

It is fun to work on this car. I have many projects in my shop that I should be working on but for some reason I enjoy working on this car the most...I think it is because it reminds me of my younger days!
I had my alt rebuilt a few years ago-I am going to try and find the receipt to see what amp it is,I remember the guy beefed it up a bit.
Art