starters or ignition switch?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
artmunson

starters or ignition switch?

Post by artmunson »

I had to replace the first starter in my 79 spider years ago because it would not function 100% of the time.I would get a strong "click" with the turn of the key,sometimes 2 or 3 times before it would engage the starter. I put a new starter in....it started doing the same thing 6 months later...I put another started in...months later the solenoid actually stuck open and the starter was stuck on as I was driving....I put a good used original one in and now a couple months later...."click..click...click. help?

I also have a poor ground somewhere; dim headlights(10v) slow wipers. I will post a separate topic for that but maybe its the same problem?????
Thanks for any help. I don't do well putting my thoughts into words so if anyone wants to help please don't hesitate to call.
Art (253)224-2456
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Re: starters or ignition switch?

Post by mdrburchette »

There is a main ground under the car, attached to the bell housing. Have you tried cleaning and making sure it's tight?
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
jctucker

Post by jctucker »

I had the same issue with the starter on my '79 recently. I pulled the white connector apart behind the ignition switch and cleaned all those contacts really well. Several people recommend eliminating it altogether (which is in my near future plans) because it's a major voltage drop area. Anyways, just cleaning up this connector helped a lot. The last day or two I haven't had a single 'click' issue from my starter.

I've only owned my Spider for a couple weeks, but I've found nearly all my electrical issues are caused by corroded connectors, loose terminals or crappy grounds. Hell, I picked up nearly an extra volt to my headlamps just by cleaning all the contacts down the line.
artmunson

Post by artmunson »

My connector started to melt years ago. I "hard" wired it so I don't think it is a problem however, I will be looking at this as well as all the grounds and the "brown wire" fix. I have checked and cleaned the ground under the car that goes to the bell housing recently.
Thanks
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

You need to test this electrical stuff before just jumping in. LIke your headlite issue, this is probably due to lack of voltage at soleniod. Hook voltmeter to small wire that energizes soleniod and crank engine. Volt should be basic battery volt, probably 11 volts with egine spinning. If not, find the problem! Test voltage going INTO ign switch. Should be battery volt. If not, problem is tween swithc and battery. If good voltage going into switch,test volt coming out. Should be battery volt. If not, prob is in the switch.
Test test test.
Keith
obdulio39

Post by obdulio39 »

i have the same problem and when it happens i move (push) the car in gear to move the flywheel position, and walaaa it starts. Im sure is the flywheel teeth when it lands in the same spot.
artmunson

Post by artmunson »

Well I think it has been a week now since I did the "brown wire fix" no "click,click,click" yet. Lights are bright,wipers are normal speed!!!Thanks guys!!!!
divace73
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat 124 Spider Silver

Post by divace73 »

artmunson wrote:wipers are normal speed!!!Thanks guys!!!!
Is that slow and slower like Fiat factory spec :wink:
Cheers David
-=1980 silver Fiat 124 Spider=-
If you want to see pics of my car (and other random stuff) >>click here<< OR
see my >>You tube channel<<
artmunson

Post by artmunson »

Yep. It was slooow and slooowerrrr. Now, just slow and slower.