Update/Fixed:What's on a timer after restarting and/or cold?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
BurbankJalopy

Update/Fixed:What's on a timer after restarting and/or cold?

Post by BurbankJalopy »

In case anyone is interested or has a similar problem...it turns out the voltage regulator was on the fritz, at times allowing up to 18.9 volts into the crusty 30 year old circuits. Apparently the electronics start to not work well at such a high voltage, which is why the ignition would get weak, tach drop, fuel pump speed up, etc. Anyway it was gratifying to take 3 mins to install the new regulator and no longer have such an irritating symptom. The regulator was 9$ at Rockauto.com

Hello
I've got an 81 Fuel Injected Spider. I did some wiring corrections associated to the ignition switch and now I have an irritating symptom. For around the first 4 minutes after restarting the car and when the car is cold, something electrical is switching on and off. Somehow a wire is crossed/bad with that item that is switching on/off, which causes my Tach to stop working, and at the same time I note that there's a drop in engine power output, as well as a sudden surge in higher voltage through the car. I know there's a surge in power because I hear my fuel pump buzzing louder and the lights get louder. Any ideas of a circuit I should look at? No fuses are blowing and it's been doing this for a few months. Thanks.
Last edited by BurbankJalopy on Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: What's on a timer after restarting and/or cold?

Post by spider2081 »

The only thing I can think of on sort of a timer is the warning lights in the center dash. Mine stay on longer when it is really cold but it does not effect the performance of the car. Something that clicks is the windshield wiper delay. Could the windshield wipers be on?? If the tach stops working I would check the push on terminals at the coil. A bad connection there could cause a loss of power and intermittent tach, but I don't know about a ticking sound from that.
So Cal Mark

Re: What's on a timer after restarting and/or cold?

Post by So Cal Mark »

maybe arcing in the ignition secondary?