starter button install

Gotta love that wiring . . .
dulcimerbob

starter button install

Post by dulcimerbob »

Yesterday my 76 spider stopped engaging the starter with the ignition switch. Everything else works so I was able to push start it fine . I have a new starter and battery. Could I use the red wire from the switch and install a starter button ? If so how would I wire it? My idea was to have a 12v hot source connected to the push button and the red wire also connected to the new switch . Would this work ?
maytag
Your car is a: 1976 124 spider

Re: starter button install

Post by maytag »

dulcimerbob wrote:Yesterday my 76 spider stopped engaging the starter with the ignition switch. Everything else works so I was able to push start it fine . I have a new starter and battery. Could I use the red wire from the switch and install a starter button ? If so how would I wire it? My idea was to have a 12v hot source connected to the push button and the red wire also connected to the new switch . Would this work ?

I had exactly the same problem last year, and I approached a temporary solution the same way you are. You needen't find a new hot either. just tap off the one that is feeding the switch, then the other side of the switch tap into the one going to the starter solenoid. That's it.

Make sure you put the switch somewhere where it will not be accidentally engaged. Make sure the switch is properly sized for the load. And if you hide the switch well enough, it'll ad a small level of theft deterrent! :lol:
I'm no Boy-Racer..... but if I can't take every on-ramp at TWICE the posted limit.... I'm a total failure!
majicwrench

Re: starter button install

Post by majicwrench »

Are you sure installling a starter button will fix it?? Up to you, but I would find, and fix, the problem without putting in a starter button. For me, is just tacky to have a button and extra wiring running around.
Keith