Ground Strap...

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Raze

Ground Strap...

Post by Raze »

I've read many places about the ground strap from the chasis to the bellhousing on the trans. However the PO on my car replaced the trans and cut a thick red wire that was attached to the chasis just forward of the driver's door underneath up in the trans tunnel. I have also read about a ground strap from engine to chasis via the fuel block off plate, my car has this, but the size of the strap is not as large as a battery cable, not as small as 10ga either. It's very 'taught' and I was going to replace it but I wanted to make sure I don't need to replace both, just either or...

Thanks!
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Re: Ground Strap...

Post by azruss »

not sure what you mean by the fuel block plate. All the spiders and coupes ive owned had the standard, body to starter mount bolt. It is a pretty substantial wire, like battery cable size. you should also have one or 2 other grounds. one from the cam tower for sure.
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

Raze, I would think one ground of significant size > 10amp from the engine or trans would be sufficient. Let me go take a look at my car this weekend. I believe I have the bellhousing ground only and all electrical work fine. I'm not sure how taught the ground wire is but I think you are on the right track replacing it to improve conductance as well as leave some slack in the event of shifting during use. Ray
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
Raze

Post by Raze »

Here's a picture:

mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

You can buy a nice fat ground strap at Advance Auto or other chain parts store and install it from the bellhousing to the body of the car like the original. Many people suggest adding a ground strap, but when I was having problems with my charging system, another ground strap added from the body to the alternator bracket just pissed the car off even more.
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

A flexible braid or #6 wire is about the correct size. Something larger might require a terminal that is too large to get connected to the lower starter bolt. The full starter current should flow through this wire. The reason it might not be as big as the battery wire is there are other paths for the return current. If the original ground cable is no longer attached under the floor in the area of the starter you might consider using one of the steering box bolts for the chassis attachment point. I think the other end usually attaches under the lower starter bolt. The cleaner and tighter the connections the better. It only really makes a difference if you have a run down battery and need that one more crank to start.