Squealing Heater Fan

Gotta love that wiring . . .
dsnyder
Your car is a: 1978 Spider

Squealing Heater Fan

Post by dsnyder »

When I turn on my heater fan... high or low, I get a high pitched squeal and very little air movement. How tough is it to remove/replace the fan?
TulsaSpider
Your car is a: 1978 Spyder 124 2L

Re: Squealing Heater Fan

Post by TulsaSpider »

It's a pain but not really difficult, might just be hitting something?
1978 Spyder 1800 make that 2L! Finally making real progress!
Fiat88

Post by Fiat88 »

Had the same issue, I tested mine when I removed it from from the heater box and it still squealed. I ended up buying a new one.
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

If you are on a budget, you can cure a lot of squeeling fans with WD40
dsnyder
Your car is a: 1978 Spider

Post by dsnyder »

I'd like to try the WD40... where should I spray it? Does it involve removing the console or can I get access somehow?
Fiat88

Post by Fiat88 »

dsnyder wrote:I'd like to try the WD40... where should I spray it? Does it involve removing the console or can I get access somehow?
I took my fan apart to try and lube the bearing and it still made noise. If ur gonna take the console out and heater box I would just opt for a new fan as it will pay for its self in the long run.
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Post by azruss »

need to remove the upper console. the biggest pain is dealing with the radio wires and lighter and cab light wiring. once exposed, remove the bottom half of the black box. should be located with 4 spring clips. when the bottom drops down, the fan is now accessible. I've had good luck with spray lube into the shaft bearing. you can test it out of the car to see if you did any good.
divace73
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat 124 Spider Silver

Post by divace73 »

Man, I cringe everytime I see this thread, I remember how much of a headache it is and when I put mine all back (after checking the switch along the way) the fan didnt work Grrrr :x
Cheers David
-=1980 silver Fiat 124 Spider=-
If you want to see pics of my car (and other random stuff) >>click here<< OR
see my >>You tube channel<<
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

If its squealing, then stop tickling it. Just kidding. Oil will stop it temporarily until it runs out again after a few uses, and too much oil may gum up the brushes and contacts making the motor run slow or quit altogether. The cheapest option is to grease the bearings with a needle fitting on a greese gun provided you can insert the needle into the bearing or under the dust seal. Another option would be to remove and replace the bearing with a new one from a bearing supplier like Grainger, McMaster Carr, or an online source, etc. And still another option would be to find a good used motor, which I probably have.
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

I tried lubing the bearing and ended up swapping my squealing fan with a good used one. Not that bad of a job.
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!