Brake line question / eliminating splitter?

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
GDR76SPIDER
Your car is a: 1976 124 spider

Brake line question / eliminating splitter?

Postby GDR76SPIDER » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:00 pm

Hey guys, after a few yrs I'm back tackling the fiat again to get it closer to road ready. I ordered the copper brake lines from Vick's and have most of them on. Right now I'm stuck with the longest one which goes to the rear compensator (I am bypassing it) and then to the splitter under the master cylinder. I'm having trouble getting it to screw into where the old line was. Mind you the old line seems like it's been previously repaired. I'm wondering if the line is supposed to screw directly into the splitter directly [IMG]
Image[/img] the previous line was pretty much like this. [IMG]
Image[/img] with 2-3 inches of line coming out of the splitter and then screwed into the line that went to the rear compensator.
Do I need to have the new line screw into another small line which then screws into the splitter? Or does it screw right in? It doesn't seem to wanna screw it smoothly. I seem to get it in and seems sorta tight. I don't wanna force it and risk stripping the thread.

In researching and when I ordered the lines it said I would have to eliminate the splitter.. Can anyone point me in the direction of going about this? Do the lines just screw directly into the master cylinder?

Thanks in advance guys.
Last edited by GDR76SPIDER on Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

bluespider262
Your car is a: 1979 Spider

Re: Brake line question.

Postby bluespider262 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:30 pm

That short line looks like part of a previous repair. I'd leave it out.

GDR76SPIDER

Postby GDR76SPIDER » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:48 pm

Edit*
Last edited by GDR76SPIDER on Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

nelsonj
Your car is a: 1972 Spider 124

Postby nelsonj » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:05 pm

GDR76SPIDER wrote:I'm stuck with the longest one which goes to the rear compensator (I am bypassing it)

I'm interested if others here see any problem with bypassing the compensator. My understanding is it prevents/reduces the rear breaks from locking up under hard braking as the car "nose dives" and there is very little weight on the back.

Any one done the "bypass" and if yes, did it create problems?
Simi Valley, California
Spider 1800
Romans 10:9

GDR76SPIDER

Postby GDR76SPIDER » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:10 pm

nelsonj wrote:
GDR76SPIDER wrote:I'm stuck with the longest one which goes to the rear compensator (I am bypassing it)

I'm interested if others here see any problem with bypassing the compensator. My understanding is it prevents/reduces the rear breaks from locking up under hard braking as the car "nose dives" and there is very little weight on the back.

Any one done the "bypass" and if yes, did it create problems?

There's been a ton on this topic, try giving it a search. lots of opinions from both sides. I just figured i do it, plus i figure if Mark is saying he's never experienced any problems etc, then I'm pretty sure its not a problem.

Funcar
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat Spider 124

Postby Funcar » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:49 am

On my car that brake line screws into the splitter. I would make sure you start by screwing it in to make sure it is not crooked then tighten it up. I left my compensator on. I bought a new one from AR and it is an easy instal.
Glen
Kitchener ON Canada
73 Fiat Spider 124

GDR76SPIDER

Re: Brake line question / eliminating splitter?

Postby GDR76SPIDER » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:05 pm

Sry I keep posting on the same topic, just wanna be sure.
To "eliminate" the splitter, would I just need to connect long line that goes to rear compensator to the MS as shown. And line to front driver side to the MS as shown. Any help would be great guys.

GDR76SPIDER

Postby GDR76SPIDER » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:53 am

Hey, so i found a post the answered my question.

JerryH wrote:The brake effectiveness sensor on my '76 was leaking, so I followed the advice of several people on the forum and replaced it with a late model reservoir and level sensing cap. I purchased a used single reservoir and cap from one of the forum members. I connected the wire that went to the BES to the cap and connected the other connection on the cap to ground. To make a cleaner installation, I replaced the drivers side front brake hardline (routing the line directly from the MC to the front left wheel). The rear brake line that went to the BES can reach the MC directly--it's tight, but if you route th line correctly you can get it to reach the MC. This seems to be a more reliable setup than the old system.

from the (77 brake fluid / effectiveness light) Thread

Odoyle
Your car is a: 1983 Pinafarina Spider

Postby Odoyle » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:00 pm

DO NOT bypass the rear compensator valve, it plays an important role in making sure the rear brakes don't lock up under heavy breaking, the engineers put it there for a good reason.

GDR76SPIDER

Postby GDR76SPIDER » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:57 pm

Odoyle wrote:DO NOT bypass the rear compensator valve, it plays an important role in making sure the rear brakes don't lock up under heavy breaking, the engineers put it there for a good reason.

I've read way too much about this in this forum, it seems it's a topic of heavy debate...my theory is Mark seems pretty confident in his argument that it's not a problem. Seeing that i'll eventually be lowering the car, which will not let the rear compensator work properly like it's supposed to, i did the bypass. I didn't want this thread to be another compensator bypass thread but i guess seeing as it is such debated topic, its hard to avoid.

Return to “Restoration Projects”