Door Check Modification

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
Justice777
Your car is a: 1978 Spider 124 5 spd

Door Check Modification

Postby Justice777 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:50 am

Has anyone tried to modify the spring steel door checks? I am considering drilling through end stop and installing a plastic or metal block to limit door opening a little more than stock. Probably only need to make them another 1/8" - 1/4" shorter.
Reason I'm considering this is that someone here said they bought and installed new ones but they lengthened on their own in very short time. Will also likely try to tack weld the loops that go around bolts to keep them from opening as that seems likely reason they fail.

Any input / comments?

gchocevar
Your car is a: 1979 Pininfarina 2000

Re: Door Check Modification

Postby gchocevar » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:58 pm

Hi,

When I restored my 1979, both doors could over-extend and hit the front fenders. I purchased all new springs and that seemed to help. However, after the restoration I didn't want to take any chances. I found some rubber spring spacers that are used between coil springs to restore spacing. You can find these at any automotive store. They fit between the door hinge an the plate the door springs are bolted to. I used contact cement to hold the one end in place. The doors don't open much beyond 45 degrees but that doesn't bother me.

Good luck

Justice777
Your car is a: 1978 Spider 124 5 spd

Re: Door Check Modification

Postby Justice777 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:39 am

Thank you. That is pretty much what I had in mind. After all this work restoring exterior / paint I'm not going to take a chance the doors will hit fenders again. The worst damage on my car is due to right door that hit fender - prob. years ago, and it was fixed and now rusted. Since the stops in it are stretched I'll get new ones and limit them a little more before reassembly.

Return to “General Maintenance”