Transmission Rear Housing

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
DogRocker
Your car is a: 1981 FI 2000

Transmission Rear Housing

Postby DogRocker » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:03 pm

Any tips on getting the Rear Housing cover off? Mine seems to be stuck. I've tried rigging a puller. Sliding various objects between the Main case and Rear Housing. Pried, pulled, and will only move about 1/8". I removed two bolts and four nuts. I also removed the Shift Engaging Lever Assy. It feels like something is still attached, but it's not obvious to me what.
bass_and_vocals AT hotmail

DogRocker

Re: Transmission Rear Housing

Postby DogRocker » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:35 am

After a 3+ hour fight, I finally got it off. The Countershaft Bearing was glued to the Housing Cover with what looks like Locktite. Also, looks like some water might have gotten into the rear section.

DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Postby DieselSpider » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:28 pm

That may have been put in to resolve a spun bearing egging out the housing. When bearings fit loose an anaerobic bearing compound may be used to save the cost of having the case welded so it can be re-bored or machined to take a sleeve.

DogRocker

Postby DogRocker » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:13 pm

After reading around the internet I'm starting to think it's an anaerobic gel. I think you're right about it being used to cure a housing issue, because I noticed some scoring within the "cup" on the housing where that bearing was seated. Apparently, anaerobic gel dries hard in the absence of air. As a result, it made that housing nearly impossible to remove. (I had to used a puller attached to the output shaft until I heard a "snap" where the glue finally broke off the bearing.)

So, I'm thinking I'll need to buy a new bearing and see how it fits. If it's not tight...take it to a machine shop or weld shop? RTV?

Return to “General Maintenance”