Just needing asurement on valve lash and other maintenance/updates

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
Sweetvinny66
Your car is a: 2003 accord honda

Just needing asurement on valve lash and other maintenance/updates

Postby Sweetvinny66 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:43 pm

I have a question. I checked my valve lash and some are off, so I wanted to see if someone knew if it was still in range for driving till I get a valve lash adjuster tool to remove and check which shims I need. The lash goes as the following.
1cyl In. .012 - Ex. .017,
2cyl In. .014 - Ex. .018,
3cyl In. .013 - Ex. .020,
4cyl In. .018 - Ex. .017,

Also check compression and dry im at around 120 psi and wet(placed a little oil in the cyl) 130 psi.

Would any of you know what jets I would need for a 32/36 Weber DFEV carburator? I turned in the mix and idle screw all the way and still am running rich and idle rpm is at 1200-1400rpm.

Just installed a new Fuel Regulator and inline Fuel Gauge today between the fuel in and carburetor.

Sorry Mr. Beek I copied our text.

Thanks.
1978 Spider 1800

kilrwail
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Sport Spider

Re: Just needing asurement on valve lash and other maintenance/updates

Postby kilrwail » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:52 pm

How do you know you're running rich? Are you sure the point gap and timing are properly adjusted? You should get the ignition right before doing any carburetor work.

When you measured the compression, was the engine hot ? It should be. And be sure to open the throttle all the way while doing it.

1978 Fiat 124 Sport Spider - original owner
1977 Porsche 911S - track car
2022 Ram 4 x 4 - hauler
PCA National Instructor and Motorsport Safety Foundation Level 2 Instructor

seabeelt
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: Fiat Spider - 1971 BS1

Postby seabeelt » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:48 pm

Intake should be 15 to 17 and exhaust 17-19 If I remember correctly
Michael and Deborah Williamson
1971 Spider -Tropie’ - w screaming IDFs
1971 Spider - Vesper -scrapped
1979 Spider - Seraphina - our son's car now sold
1972 Spider - Tortellini- our son's current

bluespider262
Your car is a: 1979 Spider

Postby bluespider262 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:43 pm

I've been tuning all summer with a wideband so I've been up and down this lately.

its probably a bit rich. But...it should run what seems to be "perfect" despite that. It won't be rich enough to not end up in the recommended tuning range for idle/mix, but it will still likely be a point or two richer than optimal. So in reality it will seem fine but might actually need to be jetted down a bit.

Idle screw should be nowhere near all the way in. In fact quite the opposite...on a DFEV it should barely engage the throttle lever at all, literally just touching plus maybe half turn of contact. I would reset that back to half turn, let the mix out 3-4 turns, and go from there. Make sure the choke is working properly too. If you can't get solid running with those settings something else is wrong.

There's pretty good instructions on the redline carb site but I find their recommended idle screw range is a bit too wide and on the high end uncovers the transition holes too much. You are best to shoot for under 1/2 turn, at least from my experience on my carb.

Return to “General Maintenance”