Diff issues

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
phaetn
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat Spider 1800

Diff issues

Postby phaetn » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:31 pm

I've been getting metal remnants in my diff oil for well over a year that I can spot sticking to magnetic drain and fill plugs.

Two years ago the drive shaft "clunked" a little when pulling away in first once in a while, but new U-joints and a guibo solved that.

Now the clunking is back, but it happens not just in first, but sometimes shifting into second, too, and even once into third. Uh oh!! It clunks in first almost every time I pull away from a stop.

My friend and Fiat guru slid beside the car and grabbed the driveshaft and said there was a lot of play and it was in the diff. He also said the old diffs are very strong but warned me not to take any long trips. He said I'd need a crush sleeve. So I've parked it for a few days to figure out what to do next. I was on my way out and forgot to mention the metal bits in the oil.

While doing errands in the family car today I happened to go by a transmission shop that had an old '50s Chevy as a customer car in front of it. I popped in and confirmed they will work on old cars. They said if I have metal in the oil then that means bearings are going.

Does it make sense to buy a bunch of bearingss and have them crack it open? Or should I try and buy a used diff? There's a '71 parts car near me but he wants to keep the wheels on it so it can get towed. I might bring it by the transmission shop tomorrow and just have them listen to it.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
phaetn
1974 CS1
32/36 DFEV; CompuTronix ign.
9.8:1 c/r; 40/80 intake cam w/ Isky springs
Vicks' SS header & adj. cam pulleys
A/R's progressive coils, Koni Yellow dampers
205/50-15s on CD-66 style rims
Momo wheel, Corbeau seats w/ 5 pt belt
pics and HD vids

baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Re: Diff issues

Postby baltobernie » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:23 pm

The rear diff may be one of the most durable moving parts on a Fiat Spider. You and a friend can swap the entire axle even in your driveway, so if you have access to a salvage yard, that might be the way to go. I'd choose a good used diff over even an experienced mechanic who's unfamiliar with the Spider.

Your signature indicates a couple of improvements to a stock '74 Spider. That being said, have you considered a change to a 3.90 rear ratio? You'd see about a 500 RPM drop on the highway, while still retaining a stump-pulling first gear. Spiders from 1978+ have the 3.90, and they were the best-selling years for our cars. You'll also need the Panhard bar and a 3.90 speedometer gear.

phaetn
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat Spider 1800

Re: Diff issues

Postby phaetn » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:24 pm

Thanks baltobernie.

I'll see if I can get my hands on a used diff. I'm worried that with the clunking as is that I'll wear the yoke(s) where the u-joints attach; but perhaps I can get the diff and driveshaft...

I'm not sure I need to go to a 3.9 ratio, or maybe it's already there. My cruising on the highway is good: about 3750rpm at 70 mph and 4250 at 80mph. It's right in a sweet spot for power, too, given how my engine breathes. I don't know if I need gearing any lower than that, thereby sacrificing already somewhat stodgy acceleration by modern standards.

Cheers,
phaetn
1974 CS1
32/36 DFEV; CompuTronix ign.
9.8:1 c/r; 40/80 intake cam w/ Isky springs
Vicks' SS header & adj. cam pulleys
A/R's progressive coils, Koni Yellow dampers
205/50-15s on CD-66 style rims
Momo wheel, Corbeau seats w/ 5 pt belt
pics and HD vids

Return to “General Maintenance”