NOOB Oil filter questions

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
stuartrubin
Your car is a: 1975 Fiat 124 Spider

NOOB Oil filter questions

Postby stuartrubin » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:53 am

I know this topic has been covered in depth, but I'm having a hard time finding an oil filter that fits. Last year when I did my first oil change (first for me), I bought and returned 4 filters until I got one that fits, and even then, I'm not sure that it was 100% right. (There was always some oil leaking around it.)

First problem is that all the online cross references (car parts stores, Amazon, etc.) tell me that filters fit when they are clearly WAY too large in their outer diameter. The filter hits the oil pan. (I think I read somewhere that the "big" filters fit Spiders with air conditioning, which I do not have.)

The second problem is that the threads just don't "feel" right. I start to screw in the filter and after about 1/2 turn it starts to stick. Maybe it just needs a little push, but I don't want to risk stripping the nipple. Do you think it's safe to "push it" a little on a filter that's claimed to fit?

What are the OFFICIAL specs on the outer diameter of the filter, and the "screw" diameter and thread pitch? Anyone know where I can actually look up these dimensions for a given filter to make sure it fits?

Thank you!

Stuart
Stuart
1975 FIAT 124 Spider
Il Mostro di Frankenstein

klweimer
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Re: NOOB Oil filter questions

Postby klweimer » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:35 pm

Hi Stewart,

I use the WIX 51189 filter for my oil changes with no issues (I buy them on Amazon). I have an 82 FI, no AC.

A couple of thoughts:
You should make sure there isn't an old rubber gasket stuck up in the oil filter housing. I've had them stick up there when I took the old one out and didn't notice. Lots of leaks!
The filter should spin up to the housing freely. Perhaps a prior owner tried to jam something on that didn't fit and screwed up the threads. If that is the case, it's easy enough to replace the oil filter housing, 4 bolts and it's off.

Kirk

stuartrubin

Postby stuartrubin » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:33 pm

Kirk, thanks for the tip. bought a filter which seemed to fit (the same as the old one). When I put it on, tightened it up, started the engine, there was a flood of oil which spewed all over the garage!

When I attached the filter, it did spin on smoothly. When it seemed to top-out, if I gave it a little more turn, it would "give" and slip and I could turn it another turn. So, maybe something is stripped?

I'm going with your thought that maybe the old owner buggered it up. There were tons of things like that (over-tightened gaskets, ad-hoc wiring, frankenstein carburator, etc.). I wouldn't be surprised if he shoved the wrong part on and wondered why he always had oil leaking...

I know it's probably something that's within my range of ability, but I'm going to punt and bring it to the mechanic. This oil thing has been plaguing me one way or another since I got the car.
Stuart
1975 FIAT 124 Spider

vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Postby vandor » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:44 pm

On the pre 1977 Spiders the oil filter block puts the filter closer to the engine, so large diamter filters won't work. The thread is a pretty common one (same as Ford, Nissan, etc), so I'm sure there are a lot of filters that fit. We carry a small diameter Bosch filter for these cars:

https://autoricambi.us/products/filter- ... ch-compact
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town

maxdog
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: 1979 spyder 124

Postby maxdog » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:59 pm

My 1979 124 came with an oil filter the size of a land mine . I now use Wix 51189 from my local parts shop . I simply clean off the filter housing face , moisten the new filter gasket with clean oil and install it hand tight plus a 1/4 turn . No leaks !
I replace the filter and change the oil when I put the car away in November.
Maxdog

stuartrubin

Postby stuartrubin » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:42 pm

Just to close the loop on anyone following this, the problem was a little more complicated, but not difficult once the mechanic (and old-school Italian guy) had a look. I may have some of these details a little wrong, but apparently, the assembly which holds the threaded rod, etc. for the oil filter came from a FIAT 132 (not 124), which should have worked fine, except the gasket was wrong.

Also, the engine block (or the part to which this assembly attaches) is from a car which had an air conditioner, but my car does not. This also should not be a problem except the physical size of the filter must be smaller in that case. This caused some confusion while trying to buy the "right" filter. I still don't actually know if the filter I bought (which worked 99% leak free last year) is right or not, or maybe I just just 99% lucky.

The mechanic made a new gasket between the assembly and block, and put in the "right" filter. I'm now leak free.

Stuart
Stuart
1975 FIAT 124 Spider

vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Postby vandor » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:38 pm

> the assembly which holds the threaded rod, etc. for the oil filter came from a FIAT 132 (not 124),

The 1800cc engine used in the 1975 Spider is a 132-series engine, as it was first used in the Fiat 132.
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town

Return to “General Maintenance”