Refitting engine

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
Stevelivingfree
Your car is a: 1972 124 Sport Spider

Refitting engine

Postby Stevelivingfree » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:05 pm

Time to start putting her back together :D Trying to figure the least complex method for replacement of the engine & transmission. This is the first time I will have reinstalled an engine. I have previously done a clutch, many years ago, by dropping the box.

Opt 1 - Attach engine & box then insert into car.
Opt 2 - Install transmission. Install engine.
Opt 3 - Put engine in the hole but keep on hoist. Install transmission & bolt it all together.

Each seems to have pros & cons. I have cherry picker hoist but no pit so will need to spend time on my back & underneath.

Would love to hear opinions. Thanks, Steve

DRUMMOND
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: Fiat Spyder 2000 1980 Pininfarina

Re: Refitting engine

Postby DRUMMOND » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:01 am

HI Steve

In my opinion bolt it all together first, then install. If possible, best to install from the bottom up rather than top to bottom.

TwinFast
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider

Postby TwinFast » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:20 am

Stevelivingfree wrote:Time to start putting her back together :D

Opt 1 - Attach engine & box then insert into car.
Opt 2 - Install transmission. Install engine.
Opt 3 - Put engine in the hole but keep on hoist. Install transmission & bolt it all together.

Each seems to have pros & cons. I have cherry picker hoist but no pit so will need to spend time on my back & underneath.

Opt 1 is possible but not easy to find the good angle in order to put evrything in from the top without damaging anything ...
Opt 2 definitively not ...
Opt 3 is the best Install the engine first from the top and then install the thansmission from the bottom ...
Fiat 124 Spider 1.8L 1978
Jaguar XKR 4.2L 2009
Harley Davidson Fat Bob 96Ci 2011

aj81spider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat 124 Spider

Postby aj81spider » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:06 am

I did option 1 (transmission bolted to engine) when I did my car. It has the advangtage of not having to deal with transmission and starter bolts, which if you search the forum are a PITA.

If I had it to do again I might remove the center link on the steering as it took a little wiggling to get by that, but even with that it was a pretty easy job. I had two people - that helps a lot. Also make sure you have a leveler on the hoist as you will want to change the angle as it slides into place.
A.J.

1974 Fiat 124 Spider
2006 Corvette
1981 Spider 2000 (sold 2013 - never should have sold that car)

klweimer
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Postby klweimer » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:02 am

Steve,
I'd spend some time searching the forum here. Only about a thousand threads on the topic. I put the engine and transmission together first, dropped the center tie rod on the steering and muscled it in from the top. The only thing I would do differently next time would be to also drop the center cross member the engine sits on as well and put it back in after the engine is down in the chassis.
For sure get one other person to help. Also buy, rent or borrow the engine hoist leveler, it's a huge help. I would also have either the front wheels up on ramps or the whole car up on jack stands to be able to make all the angles on the engine/transmission work going in. You can also take the shift extension off the transmission to make the angles better as well and then bolt it back on after the transmission is more or less where it belongs. You need to take the sheet metal transmission tunnel cover off the car to do this, but I assume you already have this off.
Kirk

Stevelivingfree
Your car is a: 1972 124 Sport Spider

Postby Stevelivingfree » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:35 pm

Thanks guys.

Have a leveler on the hook. Like the idea of the cross member. Will take a good look at it. Will try a few more searches.

Steve

azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Postby azruss » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:45 pm

Leave the crossmember alone. It connects to the bottom A-arms. Not worth the hassle to get the suspension right again just to buy you some more room dropping the motor in.

Return to “General Maintenance”