Brake Pad and Caliper lube

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
mullioni
Your car is a: 1979 2000

Brake Pad and Caliper lube

Postby mullioni » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:58 am

I am getting close to finishing my caliper rebuild and getting the brakes back together. I purchased new EBC Green pads. They came with a 3M "shim" shown in the picture below. I haven't done too many brake jobs, but usually just use a little CRC brake and caliper grease on the back of the pads. Has anyone installed these on their EBC pads? Should I install the 3M "shim" or go the CRC grease route?

I also want to double check to make sure I am lubricating the right spots with caliper grease when I re-assemble. #1 - locking blocks - top and bottom where it slides against the caliper and caliper bracket. #2 - ends and bottom of brake pads where they contact the caliper bracket. (Back of the pad where it contacts the caliper - 3M shim or caliper grease)
Do the spring clips also need a little lube?

Thanks,
M

gchocevar
Your car is a: 1979 Pininfarina 2000

Re: Brake Pad and Caliper lube

Postby gchocevar » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:35 am

Never used the 3m pad.

Use the grease in the spots you indicated. Would't hurt to put some on the shim springs. I would not use the grease on the back of the pad. I would use the 3M pad or caliper squeal. It hardens up and does the same thing as the pad.

Greg

So Cal Mark
Your car is a: Fiat

Re: Brake Pad and Caliper lube

Postby So Cal Mark » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:45 am

use some lube on the pad backing plate where it contacts the spring. The EBC pads are pretty thick, you may find adding the shim makes the pads drag on the rotor.
Personally, I wouldn't use the muck that hardens on the back of the pads
Mark Allison
allisonsautomotive.com Fiat and Alfa Romeo parts and service. Performance parts our specialty!
Headers, ignitions, wheels, cams, flywheels
starsmark@hotmail.com 909-981-3566

Return to “General Maintenance”