Need brake fluid reservoir removal and cleaning help

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
jwldane
Your car is a: 1980 2000 Spider

Need brake fluid reservoir removal and cleaning help

Postby jwldane » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:17 pm

Hi,

Going to be installing new master cylinder with new lines to the reservoir retainer. My car has two small individual reservoirs sitting side by side and since I have three other reservoirs in the parts bin I thought I would update to a single dual camber reservoir and low fluid warning light. Is there a special trick to removing the retaining clip that holds the reservoir to the bracket? Been messing trying to pry it off with multiple screwdrivers with no success. I could break them off and buy replacements but at $6 a piece????? Also, any good ideas on how to clean the inside of the reservoir, especially the one on the opposite side from the cap. Have sludge in the bottom that needs to go.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

John

jwldane

Re: Need brake fluid reservoir removal and cleaning help

Postby jwldane » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:32 pm

UPDATE:

Perseverance pays.....Reservoir removed from bracket without breaking clips.

Trying clean brake fluid and agitation to loosen crude in remote chamber. Some success, but a long way to go.

DRUMMOND
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: Fiat Spyder 2000 1980 Pininfarina

Postby DRUMMOND » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:32 pm

You have to squeeze each finger from the bottom to pry the retainer out. even doing this it might be so old it will break the fingers.
Mineral spirits and a small artist's paint brush medium bristle

jwldane

Postby jwldane » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:19 am

Thanks Drummond for the response.

I was able to get the reservoir off the bracket. Similar to what you recommended, I used a small screwdriver wedged between the reservoir and bracket to add prying force, then used multiple screwdrivers to pry the tabs away. Took a whole lot of fiddling but finally got it.

But cleaning the crud out proved a little more difficult. There is no way to access the one half on the reservoir with a brush. I thought about a pipe cleaner, but then got worried about leaving any fibers behind. I found another solution on the internet which worked out great. I first ran the old fluid line connecting the two outlet nipples together. Then added about a dozen BBs and a whole lot of Brake Clean. A whole lot a shaking later, the crud is gone. Flushed the whole thing out with warn soapy water then added some hydrogen peroxide to help lighten the yellowing plastic. That may have helped a little bit, not much. Flushed with water again and the some 90% rubbing alcohol to help remove and remaining water. Lots of compressed air and let it sit to completely dry. Looks a thousand percent better.

Return to “General Maintenance”