Exhuast pipe burning hole in brake hose

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
HuntingtonSpider
Your car is a: 1969 Fiat 124 Sport Spider

Exhuast pipe burning hole in brake hose

Postby HuntingtonSpider » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:24 am

My brakes recently started feeling spongy on the way to work and an odd noise started coming from the rear drivers side (sometimes) when braking. After checking out the underneath it seems the brake hose is being burned by running under the exhaust pipe. The hose was smoking and basically melted to the exhaust pipe. Has this happened to others here/Is this a normal occurrence over time as the hoses rubber weakens? Is there supposed to be some sort of shield to ensure this doesn't happen? It seems weird to have a rubber hose run across a blazing hot pipe. Would the stainless steel hose sets significantly help with this or are they just for better braking feel and power?
1964 Ford Fairlane
1977 Fiat 1800 Spider
1969 Fiat 1400 Spider

Your car is a: 1982 131 Superbrava warmed 2.0 litre.

Re: Exhuast pipe burning hole in brake hose

Postby 131 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:01 am

There shouldn't be a brake hose near the exhaust pipe, are you sure it's not the handbrake cable? They run over the exhaust and often get damaged with the heat. The plastic tends to melt away allowing moisture in to corrode the cable, which can then bind or seize causing rear brake issues.
Mick.

'82 2litre 131, rally cams, IDFs & headers.

dantye
Your car is a: all gone

Postby dantye » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:54 am

131 wrote:There shouldn't be a brake hose near the exhaust pipe, are you sure it's not the handbrake cable? They run over the exhaust and often get damaged with the heat. The plastic tends to melt away allowing moisture in to corrode the cable, which can then bind or seize causing rear brake issues.
True, it sounds like he is talking about the protective sheath around the e-brake cable, but if the exhaust system is pressing on the e-brake cable, it could be causing the rear brake noise he referred to. The other obvious thing to check is the brake fluid reservoir level. If the hoses from the reservoir to the master cylinder are original or have been replaced with the wrong kind of hose, they can be leaking. Brake fluid is very corrosive, and it is often recommended that brake systems be "flushed," fluid replaced and the system bled every 2-3 years.

If the car is frequently parked with the e-brake on, one or both of the e-brake lever pivots on the rear brakes could be jammed and need some working with WD40 or Blaster.

DocHoy

Postby DocHoy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:11 am

This is all great info and something I will watch for when I FINALLY pick up my 75 Spider. (Should happen on about Weds or Thurs of this week.)

But the OP said he had noise from the left rear when braking. (I am assuming "braking" means normal use of the service brake system to bring the car to a lower speed.)

This is a separate and unrelated symptom.

He should also be looking for some unrelated maintenance which needs to be done on the brakes, themselves. Pads, rotors, etc.

E' Vero?

Tnx,

HuntingtonSpider

Postby HuntingtonSpider » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:23 pm

Here's a picture of the hose/cable in question. Not knowing much about cars I assumed it was a brake hose, but e-brake cable makes more sense I guess. If this is only for the e-brake, I can only assume the other noise and spongy pedal are unrelated.
1964 Ford Fairlane
1977 Fiat 1800 Spider
1969 Fiat 1400 Spider

dantye

Postby dantye » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:35 pm

That is definitely the e-brake cable in the foreground, but I would not be driving this car much until you can find out where all that WET stuff in the background of your photo is coming from. It could be a brake line on that wheel, a gas leak (you would smell that!) or a really bad diff seal.

124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Postby 124JOE » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:45 pm

yes id say the rear line is blown out and your car IS UNSAFE if you do your own work $50
if you dont it could run $300

get in push the pedal 5 times slowly
get out and look for a puddle
back track it and repair and bleed

or have someone do the pedal while you watch"just be carefull a leak will spray"
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com

HuntingtonSpider

Postby HuntingtonSpider » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:05 pm

Thanks for the info guys, I am definitely not gonna be driving it till this is resolved. When replacing the passengers side cable should I also replace the drivers side as well? After pumping the brakes no leaks or drips were visible. I will have help from from a mechanically savvy friend but his expertise is with Porsches, so Fiats are new to him. Obviously I won't be much help, I don't even know the difference between a brake hose and an e-brake cable!
1964 Ford Fairlane
1977 Fiat 1800 Spider
1969 Fiat 1400 Spider

dantye

Postby dantye » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:39 pm

HuntingtonSpider wrote:Thanks for the info guys, I am definitely not gonna be driving it till this is resolved. When replacing the passengers side cable should I also replace the drivers side as well? After pumping the brakes no leaks or drips were visible. I will have help from from a mechanically savvy friend but his expertise is with Porsches, so Fiats are new to him. Obviously I won't be much help, I don't even know the difference between a brake hose and an e-brake cable!
I have replaced the cable on my '81, but it appears that some older models may have had two e-brake cables. But from some of the info on supplier sites, I think they can all be replaced with the easier to adjust single cable setup. These brakes are VERY different than Porsche brakes, so make sure your guy checks for the proper part(s) with:
http://www.autoricambi.us/ or
http://www.vickauto.com/ or
http://www.international-auto.com/ or any of the other suppliers you will find noted frequently on this forum.
On that last site listed above, you can just enter the year of your car and it will supposedly select the right part.

Given the age of these cars, even if the rotors and pads have been replaced, the brake pad retainer springs and/or non-lubricated caliper wedges can cause brake noise and "sticky" operation. Neither the cable nor brake repair parts are that expensive, but the labor rate by someone who knows what they are doing may be another matter!

Good luck. :)

digitech
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider

Postby digitech » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:24 pm

My exhaust used to contact my e-brake cable as well - I tried over the top and under, and also wrapped the cable with heat shield. Then I went to see my exhaust guy and he was able to add a clamp and raised the whole run back of the converter about an inch and a half - problem solved. I'll try to post a pic or two this week.

dantye

Postby dantye » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:59 pm

digitech wrote:My exhaust used to contact my e-brake cable as well - I tried over the top and under, and also wrapped the cable with heat shield. Then I went to see my exhaust guy and he was able to add a clamp and raised the whole run back of the converter about an inch and a half - problem solved. I'll try to post a pic or two this week.
Yea, I need to do the same soon. I may replace the center resonator with a short glass-pak at the same time.

So Cal Mark
Your car is a: Fiat

Postby So Cal Mark » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:37 pm

that leak could be the diff seal, but it could be the center brake hose too. Either way it needs attention quickly
Mark Allison
allisonsautomotive.com Fiat and Alfa Romeo parts and service. Performance parts our specialty!
Headers, ignitions, wheels, cams, flywheels
starsmark@hotmail.com 909-981-3566

narfire
Your car is a: 1980 124 spider

Postby narfire » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:06 am

I vote the center brake hose. Happened to me as well .
80 FI spider
72 work in progress
2017 Golf R ( APR Stg. 1)
2018 F350 crew long box

HuntingtonSpider

Postby HuntingtonSpider » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:25 pm

So I had a day off work and school to jack the car up and take some pics. You're the pro's, whats going on?
Sorry for the crappy phone pics but as you can see I have a big leak coming from that area. There was a much larger than normal puddle of fluid of the garage floor from the last week of sitting. Would the leaking on the previous picture of the exhuast be caused by this?
1964 Ford Fairlane
1977 Fiat 1800 Spider
1969 Fiat 1400 Spider

dantye

Postby dantye » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:11 pm

Does the leak smell like Gasoline?
If not, is your brake fluid reservoir empty? The photos are washed out from too much background light, but could be a brake line leak.

Return to “General Maintenance”