Seats... Lets get a FAQ Together

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
joshuagore

Seats... Lets get a FAQ Together

Postby joshuagore » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:29 am

When I finished up the paint and minor interior work on my fiat I decided the next step was seats to match the more sporting nature of my car. I really wanted some Scheel Seats http://www.classiccarseats.com/nurburging-seats-5500.php but at 500+ per seat it was out of the question. I decided to go with some poly buckets from Summit racing with a sheet metal sunken mount to reduce the height gained by the 'base' for the poly seat.

They have been ok, and with some added padding provide a decent setup, but by far not ideal especially for an over 6 footer like myself.

So I have been exploring new options... lets see what you have and lets try and catalog some ideas here.

Summit Racing Poly Bucket
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1100/
$32 each plus covers, and mounting hardware.

First mount attempt to high :(
The final mount bracket made the seat flush with the floor, but still raised by the design of the seat

Porsche 914 Seats
This is my next project which means my Summit seat setup is for sale. Its not perfect and will require some tweaking but I am willing to sell or trade for some fiat parts :)
Ok so the 914 seats fit my wide rear better, and sit much lower so my line of site will be through the window :)
I found 2 seats for a great deal and will be picking them up this weekend. The project will progress quickly and if all goes well maybe we can make some brackets for other interested parties. The seats can often be found for under $300 for a set of 2 in good condition. They are comfortable, classic looking, and low sitting.

Anyone else have anything else to add? If this thread exists let me know I will just add to it.
Josh

lanciahf

Re: Seats... Lets get a FAQ Together

Postby lanciahf » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:06 am

The only seats I found that actually sit lower than stock spider seats in a spider are Saab Sonet seats. Sort of look like 914 seats. They are really light and are made for an inclined floor plan like ours.

mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Postby mdrburchette » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:27 am

By the picture, it looks like you could just pull the front seat out and sit in the back! :mrgreen:
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!

baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Postby baltobernie » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:01 am

I hope they don't have any cute women in your neighborhood, or you won't be able to steer!

joshuagore

Postby joshuagore » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:54 am

baltobernie wrote:I hope they don't have any cute women in your neighborhood, or you won't be able to steer!

HAHAHAHA

This is to funny. My wife is cute ;) I knew posting a picture with me in it would be a bad thing. I have lost some weight since then, but in reality I could lose a lot more and still be a tighter fit in the Fiat. So I go the route of the 914 seats to get me nice and low.

I will check out the Saab Seats.

Josh

PNWSmoker

Postby PNWSmoker » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:45 pm

I just picked up a set of Miata seats I'm going to mount up. They came out of a 1990 and look to be in great shape and I got them for $50.

joshuagore

Postby joshuagore » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:39 pm

PNWSmoker wrote:I just picked up a set of Miata seats I'm going to mount up. They came out of a 1990 and look to be in great shape and I got them for $50.

Lets seem some pictures when you do. I know someone else did, and they looked like a good fit. I really wanted some 'shiny' vinyl so that is why I didn't go Miata.
Josh

lanciahf

Postby lanciahf » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:59 pm

Miata Seats are great but you will sit higher than standard Fiat seats. Ask me how I know....

Miata Seats are made for flat floors. Our spiders have angled floors plus part of the frame protrudes which does not allow the floor to be chopped and moved lower.

See topic: http://fiatspider.com/f08/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4627

bonezrx8

Postby bonezrx8 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:09 pm

you may wanna check out lotus elise seats ive seen them go for 300 a pair....you may wanna check your fit first,not in a lotus though trust me on that...hehe but they sound right for what u want.

Bone

PNWSmoker

Postby PNWSmoker » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:13 pm

lanciahf wrote:Miata Seats are great but you will sit higher than standard Fiat seats. Ask me how I know....

Miata Seats are made for flat floors. Our spiders have angled floors plus part of the frame protrudes which does not allow the floor to be chopped and moved lower.

See topic: http://fiatspider.com/f08/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4627

I saw that thread and I'm leaing towards cutting the stock mounts out and welding in my own custom mounts. I just don't want them to be too low.

lanciahf

Postby lanciahf » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:35 pm

It wont matter if you cut out the stock seat mounts, there is a very large frame rail in the way that sits in the way of moving the seats any lower. Take a close look at the photos and you will see the frame.

PNWSmoker

Postby PNWSmoker » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:40 pm

lanciahf wrote:It wont matter if you cut out the stock seat mounts, there is a very large frame rail in the way that sits in the way of moving the seats any lower. Take a close look at the photos and you will see the frame.

I see the frame rail you are talking about and it looks to me if the stock mouting was removed you could drop the seat down maybe 1/2" to 3/4". Not a huge amount but could make a difference.

I've got them half mounted up on the same manner you did yours and for me the height seems OK. Time will tell though.

burgandy81
Your car is a: 1981 FIAT Spider 2000

Postby burgandy81 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:45 am

I currently have Miata seats which place me at eye level with the windshield cross bar. This generates far too much "witty" banter among car friends while out on runs.

Just purchased some 914 seats and they look great, similar (from 10', if you squint) to the Abarth Spider Rally seats.

Does anyone have any pictures or idea for mounting brackets? At this point I will settle for fixed location as sliders would add some height and complexity to the install.

Cheers

racydave
Your car is a: 1979 Spider

Postby racydave » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:35 am

I went thru a experience doin mine. I got Leather seats from a Mittsubeasti Gallant and tried a sub-frame. They were to tall. So I removed the cushons, and welded the differences to the Spider seat frame. It worked out well, but all photos were lost due to computer replacment.
Central Indiana Italian car association CIICA

RJ80
Your car is a: 1977 Lancia Scorpion

Postby RJ80 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:25 pm

I was considering 914 seats as well. I was looking for something that replicated the Abarth buckets, there are options out there that are nearly identical, but I couldn't justify spending $1000 to get that look. Ultimately, after months and months of checking online classifieds, ebay, craigslist, etc, I found a set of used but perfect condition Corbeau Classic Buckets local to me -- $200 for the pair. http://www.corbeau.com/products/fixed_b ... ic_bucket/

They aren't identical to the Abarth seats, but pretty damn close. I'll post photos when I install them, I'm going to have to buy some mounting brackets as the ones they came with are for a different car. I'm also hoping to get them mounted so I'm sitting a little lower in the car, if that's possible.

Return to “Custom Stuff”