Rear speakers in rear pockets

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
Turbofiat124
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000 turbo

Rear speakers in rear pockets

Postby Turbofiat124 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:53 am

I don't know why I haven't done this by now since I've had this car for 25 years.

I need more volume from my stereo. Without actually changing the stereo or front speakers. If I run my stereo on full volume, the music distorts unless I turn the treble up and the bass down.

I can hear the radio fine with the top up and windows up but with the top down I can't really hear it with the top down going more than 30 mph due to wind noise.

I'd like to mount a set of rear speakers (5.25") in the rear pockets and connect them to the unused rear channel wires. There is probably a better name for these but they are the pockets that the top of the rear quarter windows go down into when the top is down.

I got to looking yesterday to see where might be a good location to where the window or top wouldn't conflict with it. Like how thick of a magnet on the speaker would be. My guess is it would push the liner inward a bit but not sure if it's going to rub the window.

I guess I could measure the thickness of the magnet then measure the distance to the window.

I'm thinking dead center. More than likely I'll be using those flush mounted Scosche speakers that Wal-Mart sells. I've used this in my Trabant and Citroen and they sound pretty good.

Any of you guys have rear speakers in this location?

ORFORD2004
Your car is a: 1983 PININFARINA

Re: Rear speakers in rear pockets

Postby ORFORD2004 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:51 pm

Yes 6 inches and a spacer

Return to “Custom Stuff”