Under dash vent fix

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
rjbaum12
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat 124 Spider

Under dash vent fix

Postby rjbaum12 » Wed May 31, 2017 11:08 am

My under dash vents didn't have the lever to open/close them - I really didn't know they could until I took my first Fiat apart. :|
The plastic used for these apparently is very easy to break off, which isn't surprising. I finally decided it was time to correct that, so came up with this relatively simple solution.
I used 3/16" square brass tube from a model shop, which is the same size as the square section of the original lever piece (seen in pic above). I found metal rod that fit into the square tube tightly. Measured for length and bent the rod at an angle as the lever "handle". The metal rid is slightly smaller in diameter than the original plastic piece, but not enough to affect usability.
Put it all together - using epoxy to glue the metal rod into the brass tube - hopefully that holds up long term. :roll:
Reinstall and presto! Vents that now open and close! :D

Just make sure that you get the rod "handle" in the correct position before you epoxy it together, otherwise your handle could stick out at a funny angle and/or not open/close the vent properly.

No pic of the finished install yet, but I also plan to add a press fit washer to the end of the rod to hold it in place. I also haven't trimmed the length of the handle yet - it's a bit too long in the pic above.

Someone with a lathe could turn these out of square stock so they are one piece but I don't have a lathe...yet. :lol:
1977 Fiat Spider (driveable project...)
1970 Fiat Spider (the next project!)
2013 Toyota Tundra (for hauling projects)
2004 Lowe Suncruiser Jamaica pontoon boat (for project days off)
and a golf cart, just because!

LarryM
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider 2000

Re: Under dash vent fix

Postby LarryM » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:32 pm

I had a 74 which had these vents. My 81 does not have them. Has anyone added them to the later cars??

rjbaum12

Postby rjbaum12 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:48 pm

http://www.fiatspider.com/f15/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32420
Check this thread - the later cars have in-dash fresh air vents...differences explained in the thread.

rjbaum12

Postby rjbaum12 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:52 pm

If anyone has a pic of the original vent lever setup I'd appreciate a PM or post here. Trying to figure out how they held it open/shut. I may use some sort of friction contraption but the one pic I've seen it looks like a spring setup.

Return to “Custom Stuff”