How do I remove he centre instrument panel ??

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
maxdog
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: 1979 spyder 124

How do I remove he centre instrument panel ??

Postby maxdog » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:37 am

Hi
I'm compiling my winter " to do list " . I want to install a volt meter and oil pressure gauge on my 1979 spyder . The logical place would be the centre panel ; the one with a separate piece for the warning light for seat belts etc and the hazard switch .It looks as if this might be a self contained assembly ? I would move this wholesale to the bottom of a new panel , leaving space for the gauges .
I'm sure that this won't be as easy as it sounds there are some obvious questions :- - - -
How do I remove the center panel ?
Can I simply drop the warning light etc strip to the bottom of a new , wood ?? panel , or will the wiring foul something ? does any one supply a panel ?
Any help ,comments , pictures references to previous posts ,[ looked but didn't find any] would be appreciated
Thanks
Maxdog

TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Re: How do I remove he centre instrument panel ??

Postby TX82FIAT » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:22 pm

Maxdog, If it is the center panel on the 79 where the lights are it is an easy removal. The Bezel for the lighting reostat and the winsshild wiper speed (neither of which work very well) hold that plastic panel in place. You should be able to remove the circular washer like nut holding the assembly on to gain quick access. Each of the lights is a quick disconnect. Once you have it apart it takes some patience or a hand pushing on the back to get it back in place. I suggest you take out the center bottom section as well so you have some room to work with and can avoid taking out the whole dash. voltmeter will be an easy circuit to mod. The oil pressure is always a toss up between mechanical and electrical. mechnaicla could leak and do you really want to run the tube of oil into the cabin. Electrical is not always as accurate and your going to have to run wires through firewall.

Good luck, please post picks. this is something I've been thinking about doing for years. new job, new house... Need to get back on the plan.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban

So Cal Mark
Your car is a: Fiat

Postby So Cal Mark » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:49 pm

I have wood kits with the extra hole in the cluster for adding an oil pressure gauge to the 79+ cars
Mark Allison
allisonsautomotive.com Fiat and Alfa Romeo parts and service. Performance parts our specialty!
Headers, ignitions, wheels, cams, flywheels
starsmark@hotmail.com 909-981-3566

maxdog
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: 1979 spyder 124

Postby maxdog » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:50 pm

Thanks for the advice
Maxdog

Return to “Custom Stuff”