Custom DIN radio console and installation

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
wizard124
Your car is a: 1980 spider FI

Custom DIN radio console and installation

Postby wizard124 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:32 pm

Shortly after I bought my car, I learned that the radio console came from a coupe ( I think my tunnel console is too). Radio was in a box, knobs missing. Not going to hack it.

I started by chasing the wiring and cutting out the old radio harness. I discovered the in-line fuse holder that feeds the cigar lighter was missing, that red wire lead was snipped behind the fuse panel, and that the red wire was spiced into the brown (hot in run) wire from C36 connector. :cry: I salvaged a fuse holder from a electronics junk drawer in the garage. I spliced it in; made some other corrections to return the wiring back to stock. I am not replacing the cigar lighter as the new stereo has a USB port for phone charging. The stereo requires a Hot (red wire), a Hot thru Ignition (brown wire), and a Ground. My car has a ground wire connected to a tab under the dash (this ground doesn't match my manuals but it looks stock :? )

I started the console design using some cardboard templates, a front face and 2 side panels:

I bought a 2'x2' piece of 26 gauge sheet from a hardware store (about $10). Cut out pieces using the templates.
:idea: In a do over, I would lengthen the face about an inch so that a tab could be bent back to sit on the top of the shifter panel. Later, this tab could be screwed to the panel.:

I marked the cutout for the DIN receiver. I used a Dremel cutting disc. I made cuts leaving a bendable tab top and bottom, running horizontally. Once these tabs are bent back, it gives the fascia added rigidity. These bends narrow the DIN opening so it takes a bit of luck to get it right the first time. :D

Added some self stick foam sheet to the front:

Vinyl cut and stuck! Used Weldwood contact cement. Test fitted the stereo sleeve and stereo to make sure the fit was still good. :D Tabs on the stereo sleeve bend easily to hold it in place.

Installed the front piece first. The blind screws were tough to install. 2 screws and fender washers (made from the sheet metal) on top. 2 small screws (inside to outside) on each folded back wing; screwed into the lower console edge. :idea: This is where the bottom tab would be a big improvement!

With the stereo fully installed there is a lot of clearance. A word about the stereo....It is a Digital Media Receiver. There is no CD player in the unit so it is not very deep and only weighs about 1 pound.

With the front installed, it was time to fit and cover the side panels. The panels needed some minor modifications to fit just right. I wanted their front edges to slide behind the front's wings for a cleaner look. Driver side harder to work into place.:

Finished look :D The stereo is Kenwood KMM-BT312U. Speakers are 5+1/4 inch JBL GX502. I installed the speakers in XTC 51/4 speaker baffles for protection.

I am quite pleased with the way this turned out (never made an interior component before). Nicer than the ragged used consoles I have seen on Ebay. Stereo sounds terrific and plenty of volume for top down freeway cruising :P

It took a lot more time than I envisioned! A lot of fitting and trial and error. The speaker install was a pita; limited work/elbow space, warped panels, predrill and screw and remove and add cover and align and screw. :evil:

Someone recently remarked that interiors are fun :?: I wouldn't say fun but it is rewarding when it is all said and done. :D

RRoller123
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 FI SPIDER 2000

Re: Custom DIN radio console and installation

Postby RRoller123 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:40 pm

Nice job, and a lot of work!
'80 FI Spider 2000
'74 and '79 X1/9 (past)
'75 BMW R75/6
2011 Chevy Malibu (daily driver)
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Ext Cab 4WD/STD BED
2002 Edgewater 175CC 80HP 4-Stroke Yamaha
2003 Jaguar XK8
2003 Jaguar XKR
2021 Jayco 22RB
2019 Bianchi Torino Bicycle

wizard124
Your car is a: 1980 spider FI

Postby wizard124 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:03 pm

RRoller123 wrote:Nice job, and a lot of work!

Thanks Roller.....the kids can't comment on the loose, dangle of wires any longer :)

Speedey
Your car is a: Fiat Spider 2000

Postby Speedey » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:42 am

how much time did you spent for this? that many wires make me think of a lot of work. anyway, good job on this one

Speedey
Your car is a: Fiat Spider 2000

Postby Speedey » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:42 am

how much time did you spent for this? that many wires make me think of a lot of work. anyway, good job on this one

Return to “Custom Stuff”