A Fiat spider bike carrier/rack for the purists!

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
eshenbaugh

A Fiat spider bike carrier/rack for the purists!

Postby eshenbaugh » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:04 am

stello3
Your car is a: 1969 850 Spider

Re: A Fiat spider bike carrier/rack for the purists!

Postby stello3 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:37 am

Nice, I think the bike can carry the fiat...LOL!. I like the matching colors on Fiat and bike.

TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Postby TX82FIAT » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:53 am

Nice bike. Do not take corners at FIAT speed while transporting your bike. I have a set up up to post but I cant get this skydrive to post this pic.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban

eshenbaugh

Postby eshenbaugh » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:21 am

Would love to see more people's bike rack setup on their Fiat!

4uall
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Pininfarina Spider 2000 F.I.

Postby 4uall » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:55 pm

I like how you have planned for the future by having a second mode of transportation when driving your Fiat LMFAO! :mrgreen:
Jay

Fiona
1980 FI 2000 Spider
ITZEBTZE

https://goo.gl/photos/eNKaX7hrXhBu9fmp6

FINN (FN-2187)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
MYTHERPY

eshenbaugh

Postby eshenbaugh » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:34 pm

You never know when your gonna need it LOL

Danno

Postby Danno » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:13 pm

I don't understand why this is a bike rack for a purist. Is that sarcasm?

Secondly, why would somebody have such a nice bike and not have clipless pedals on it?

Danno

Postby Danno » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:34 pm

For demonstration purposes only. DO NOT CARRY YOUR FULL CF BIKE LIKE THIS.

And yes, I totally understand that my bike is worth more than that car. lol.

81SPIDERMATT
Your car is a: 1981 spider 2000

Postby 81SPIDERMATT » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:52 pm

DONT KNOW HOW TO STEAL A PIC FROM ANOTHER POST SO HERE YA GO.... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20695

eshenbaugh

Postby eshenbaugh » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:30 am

Danno wrote:I don't understand why this is a bike rack for a purist. Is that sarcasm?

Secondly, why would somebody have such a nice bike and not have clipless pedals on it?

Was being sarcastic, I figured people would freak out that I drilled holes in my deck lid. Wasn't too worried about punching holes in it because I have a spare I picked up on CL very inexpensive.

How nice a bike is doesn't have any bearing on a riders pedal preference imo. I ride platform pedals for many reasons. (Very nice platform's ) :D

Nice to see other people enjoying Bikes and Fiats together!
EX:
http://www.bikejames.com/strength/which ... al-stroke/
http://www.bikejames.com/strength/im-re ... at-pedals/

eshenbaugh

Postby eshenbaugh » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:40 am

Danno wrote:For demonstration purposes only. DO NOT CARRY YOUR FULL CF BIKE LIKE THIS.

And yes, I totally understand that my bike is worth more than that car. lol.

Why cant you transport your bike like that? too low to the ground?

TX82FIAT

Postby TX82FIAT » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:35 pm

I came up with the attachement to the bike rack a few years ago. A heavy piece of 2 X 8 with slats, wedges and a V shaped piece of aluminum from a sign post. About and hour of work not including the time for the gloss black paint to dry. It has worked like a charm. As mentioned before, do not take turns at FIAT speeds. The luggage rack is already designed to hold some weight. All in with bike it weights about 25 - 30 pounds with the wood being the heaviest part keeping the base stable.

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban

Danno

Postby Danno » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:02 pm

eshenbaugh wrote:Why cant you transport your bike like that? too low to the ground?

Well, there's that, and there is the problem that if I was rear ended it would destroy the bike (prob would be covered under other guys insurance) but the main reason is that CF distributes loads in very specific directions, and cinching and impacts laterally to tubes just aren't in the design, so can lead to stress fractures if you are not careful. The best way to transport a carbon fiber bike is by the wheels/fork.

I figured your orig post was sarcastic, because the drilling was what I focused on immediately. Although, it looks like you have holes in the deck lid for a luggage rack anyway, so you should be given a free pass to drill wherever you want on it!

I have a very similar rack setup from Yakima that has that micro tray on the back and a locking quick release on the front. The name escapes me, something about a snake...

Edit... Yakima Boa.

chrisg
Your car is a: 1971 FIAT

Postby chrisg » Fri May 27, 2016 9:06 am

Thread back from the dead....sorry....well, not really...anyway, it's been 4 years and I'm curious whether anyone has some examples of non-destructive bike carrying rigs for 124/2000 Spiders. Since it appears my '71 is staying with me for life, I need it to do the same chores most of my other cars can do (mostly, carry a bike). My tentative plan is to weld up a receiver hitch that can be bolted under the trunk pan relatively simply & then use a Yakima hitch rack....downside is, of course, the receiver and much weight (rack, not bike) cantilevered off the rear potentially making for annoying driving characteristics.

My other thought was getting a 2nd trunk lid and simply bolting (with spacers as needed for it to actually work) a fork mount tray onto it.

Ideas? Photos?
Chris Granju
Knoxville, TN
'71 FIAT 124BS (pretty), '72 FIAT 124BC,'76 FIAT 128 Wagon(ratbeast), '85 Bertone X 1/9, '70 124BC (project), 79 X1/9 (hot rod in rehab), '73 124BS (2L, mean), '74 124 Special TC, '73 124CS, '73 124 Familiare

TX82FIAT

Postby TX82FIAT » Fri May 27, 2016 9:22 am

If it is any consideration. The set up on the existing luggage rack has had no ill effect on my car for over 6 years now. I use the FIAT bike combo at least 30 times a year. I simply do not push the car in turns to be safe. The bike I've been using the entire time is an old carbon trek 5200 that weighs very little. I think this will work with the low center of gravity for a bike up to about 30 pounds.

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban

Return to “Custom Stuff”