Relay?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
alex

Relay?

Postby alex » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:03 pm

Dummy question: I tyraced my fan problem to what I think is the relay going to the fan, but I'm not sure what a relay looks like. Is it the small plastic box that the wire from the temp senso would go into? Thanks for the help, as I'm entirely new to electical systems.

Also, if that relay (or whatever the little plastic housing is) is warm when the fan is running, does that mean it needs to be replaced?

Spyderbuddy

Postby Spyderbuddy » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:40 am

1978-1982 cooling fan is hot all the time just a thermo switch mounted in the bottom of the radiator controls when it comes on and off per 1967 - 1982 clymer shop manual

alex

Postby alex » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:43 am

Thanks for the response. I actually looked at the temp sensor and that was working fine, but there is another connection between that and the fuse box that I think is a relay. When the engine gets hot, just pushing down on this thing makes the fan come on as it's supposed to, but the box is hot and the fact that I have to mess with it to make it work makes me think there's a bad connection inside. Before I go pulling it apart I'd like to know what it is in case I have to replace it.

I took a picture with my phone, which might help (sorry for the low quality)

http://mail.google.com/mail/?view=att&disp=inline&attid=0.0&th=10cbfe08be1be810

alex

Postby alex » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:13 pm

I guess my photo lik didn't work....

So Cal Mark
Your car is a: Fiat

Postby So Cal Mark » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:21 pm

how many terminals does the box have? A relay should have 4 or 5 terminals, a circuit breaker or fuse will have 2.
Any electrical device that has current running through it will get warm.
Mark Allison
allisonsautomotive.com Fiat and Alfa Romeo parts and service. Performance parts our specialty!
Headers, ignitions, wheels, cams, flywheels
starsmark@hotmail.com 909-981-3566

Return to “Electrical Issues”