77 spider fuse box mixup

Gotta love that wiring . . .
gtownfiat

77 spider fuse box mixup

Postby gtownfiat » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:45 pm

Hello everyone I’m in desperate need of some help with the electric in my 1977 fiat spider. I just came into possession of the car through my father, and as long as he's has it the turn signals have never worked, so I decided to try and fix it myself. I got the whole dash apart and through careful reading of the diagram book that I have on fiats, I noticed that a bunch of the fuses were in the wrong place, so I put them in what the book said was the right place and the result was worse then the problem before. so through trial and error I have been able to get things back to the way they were but the signals still don’t work. So my question is, where does the power for the signals come from, and what wires are supposed to go in what fuse slots? Please if there is anyone who has had this problem, and has been able to overcome it please help! I have been trying for almost 2 weeks and I just want to have things work!

Hawke187
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider

Postby Hawke187 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:37 am

Here is a link to a great site that has really good info and better yet downloads for the full wiring diagrams for your Spider.

http://users.chartertn.net/jseabolt/elect.htm

Just go to the bottom of the page and download the zip file for your year, and your good to go....

So Cal Mark
Your car is a: Fiat

Postby So Cal Mark » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:30 pm

check the lamp sockets for power, if you have voltage there, clean and tighten all of the ground circuits on the rear lights
Mark Allison
allisonsautomotive.com Fiat and Alfa Romeo parts and service. Performance parts our specialty!
Headers, ignitions, wheels, cams, flywheels
starsmark@hotmail.com 909-981-3566

gtownfiat

77 spider fuse box mixup

Postby gtownfiat » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:49 pm

The lamp sockets are fine I think. The only reason I say this is because my hazards seem to work fine. The other day I disconnected the wires that go to the illumination switch for the dash, fasten seat belt light, brake light, and the windshield wiper speed switch and the blinkers started working. So I believe that the problem is mostly tied into the setup of the fuse box. That said, if there’s anyone who can post something that says exactly what there fuse box looks like or could tell me where the wires go that come from the major fuses such as fuse A, L, I, H and G that would be great. Thanks again for the people who have tried to help.

So Cal Mark
Your car is a: Fiat

Postby So Cal Mark » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:30 pm

just mixing the fuse order shouldn't cause the trouble you're experiencing unless the lower rated fuses are blown. Are the fuse box contacts clean and tight?
Mark Allison
allisonsautomotive.com Fiat and Alfa Romeo parts and service. Performance parts our specialty!
Headers, ignitions, wheels, cams, flywheels
starsmark@hotmail.com 909-981-3566

Return to “Electrical Issues”