1980 Electrical or Fuel line problem?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
MrGreen
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

1980 Electrical or Fuel line problem?

Postby MrGreen » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:03 pm

My 1980 spider kept developing electrical problems from a lot of patches and security system. I decided to rewire the car. My goal was to get the basics working and stay away from the fuel injection. Luckily all the wires between the dual relay and the ECU were untouched. Other wires coming out of the other side of the relay were not.
88z Big Brown
88d is white with black stripe going to a single connector to Green black to the fuel pump but from what I reads this should be green black all the way
88y goes to an inline fuse and a two slot connector with big brown
86a red black to starter
86c is green black and joins a pink wire that seems like it might be after market. Does it go to the exhaust sensor? Right now its going nowhere

When I start the car it kicks out as soon as it should start to idle. It did respond to pumping the accelerator with a rev and blue cloud then stopped( I expected the cloud since I have not started it in 18mos) I also noticed some leakage around the fuel pump.

In a carbureted car I would assume that some sludge from the tank is in the fuel line but I worry it is something with the FI that is over my pay grade.

spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: 1980 Electrical or Fuel line problem?

Postby spider2081 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:27 pm

If you are not a member of the Mirafiori web site I suggest you consider it. They have a library full of data that will help you. For electrical there is a Fiat Manual titled " Spider 2000 Electrical Diagnostic Manual 1980-1981"
1980 is the transition year from the carb to FI so wire colors could be different from the wire diagram.

Regardless of the color the wire in dual relay socket:
88d should trace to the fuel pump + terminal
88c should trace to one of the pins in the aux air regulators connector
86a should trace to the red wire pin in the ignition switch connector (car side)

Hope this helps a little

MrGreen
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Re: 1980 Electrical or Fuel line problem?

Postby MrGreen » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:11 pm

Thanks. I had looked at those but was not using common sense. The next morning I realized that I should ignore the color of the wires completely. Between ,as you pointed out, it being a transition year and the various mods for the security system the colors were meaningless. I started paying more attention to the origins and destinations and found 15 on the ignition needed to go to both the coil and 86c on the FI relay. Again, Thanks .

Return to “Electrical Issues”