Solid green turn signals and no fan

Gotta love that wiring . . .
v76124
Your car is a: 1976 Fiat 124 Spider

Solid green turn signals and no fan

Postby v76124 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:19 pm

Hi folks,

I'm having an issue with my 76 spider and since I'm a noob, I wanted to see if the collective wisdom here might be able to help me out. I want to do/fix as much as I can since I daily drive my spider.

Before yesterday, everything was working fine. All lights/signals/hazards worked and the radiator fan kicked on just past 190.

The issue
Since yesterday (Monday), the turn signal is staying a solid green on the dash when the car is running (it flashes if I use the turn signal, and turns off if I hit the hazard button). The signals/hazards still work fine on the outside, but the radiator fan no longer kicks in at 190 (I've let it run till it almost hit the red zone to check). Before yesterday, the turn signals would light up only when I hit the stalk (both lights would flash green in the dash, unlike newer cars where you only flash left or right).

What changed?
I installed new seat belts on Sunday. The old seatbelt had the seatbelt wire (but it wasn't connected), the new one doesn't have a wire. Not sure if that matters.

I also tuned the carb on Sunday to sort out the fast idle. I tried the fast idle switch on the drivers side fender but it didn't work (I pressed it a bunch of times, but did nothing).

I checked for coolant, the rad is full and coolant looked good but the overflow tank is empty (its not the stock one) if that matters.

So is the solid turn signal a warning light of some sort? Where should I start looking/decoding this problem to begin?

Thanks for reading!
Vee

TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Re: Solid green turn signals and no fan

Postby TX82FIAT » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:29 am

I suspect you have two unrelated issues. Get a copy of your years wiring diagram. Brad Artigue has published a bunch of them on the web for reference. The wiring diagrams are the number one resource for electrical issues if you need to diagnose a circuit. The turn signal circuit is getting juice even when in the off position. Trace that circuit, the problem may be in your hazard switch. May be something as simple as two connection touching. The coolant overflow tank should absolutely have some coolant in it. The pressurized system is designed to expand pushing coolant into the tank when hot and contract drawing coolant back out of the tank as the engine cools. So, I suspect the engine did not have coolant drawn back in sufficiently since the tank is empty. You should have a minimum fill amount. If you have air in the system the fan most likely will not come on. you can jump the fan switch pretty easy to make sure the fan circuit is still working by contacting a small jumper wire to each end of the tabs at the bottom of your radiator where the switch is. However, no coolant in the tank with no fan coming on is a clue to a potential coolant leak someplace. The system can look full and have significant air trapped in the hoses. I would fill the tank to the proper fill mark. Burp the coolant system and run it through a few cycles. A lot of posts on her about filling and burping the system.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban

azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Postby azruss » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:30 pm

1st rule of thumb with Fiat electrical is check the grounds. I would also remove the plastic housing around the stalk and look for loose wires or bare spots in the insulation that maybe touching something metal. You may need to remove the steering wheel to get a good look.

nelsonj
Your car is a: 1972 Spider 124

Postby nelsonj » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:55 pm

I second the vote for the grounds. They usually connect to a "hub" that has a dozen or so wires connected to it. I'm not sure where they are on a 76, but usually there is one under the dash, and one under the hood on the driver's side, and one in the trunk area (as I recall). Get a wire brush and remove the wires (one at a time perhaps) and clean both the hub and the wire contact. It's a good idea to use conductive gel on both parts when reconnecting the wires.

Let us know how things go.

Peace.
Out.
Simi Valley, California
Spider 1800
Romans 10:9

spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Postby spider2081 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:34 pm

I think 1n 76 there was a separate flasher for the hazards. The hazards have a separate power source and ground from the signal flasher. The signal flasher is suspect as it lights the green indicator when the signal light switch has been activated. Its unique in that when the signal light is lit the green indicator is off and when the signal light is off the green indicator is lit. This switching takes place in the flasher contacts. It almost sounds like your flasher may be resting with the green light contacts being closed.
Poor ground connections cause unusual problems so they are a suspect when ever anything unusual is happening. However I feel they get more attention then warranted.

v76124
Your car is a: 1976 Fiat 124 Spider

Postby v76124 » Tue May 01, 2018 1:16 am

Thanks for the replies! You guys were right, they were 2 separate, unrelated issues.

The fan issue was because of a burnt out relay - fairly straightforward I guess. But I did top off the coolant (prob just over half a gallon) and burped the system (or tried anyway) but it running great so far). It had never overheated before (except when the fan didn't kick in).

The fan hasn't actually kicked in yet (been daily driving it over a week) so I don't know if it's actually fixed after the relay swap, but I've driven it daily for the past week, highway and sitting in traffic, the temp doesn't go past the middle of 190, despite a couple of 75-ish degree days.

The hazards were even more simple - the clamp under the dash that holds the relay was too tight. As soon as we wiggled it to remove the relay it started working as expected (on with the indicators and hazards, off otherwise).

So all in all, 2 easy fixes - hopefully all future fixes are like this :).

Thanks for all your replies and help!

profcucchi
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat 2000

Postby profcucchi » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:43 pm

I think I have a similar issue:

The dash indicator light for the turn signals always flickers. The signals work fine when I select them.

I checked the ground under the dash and it's clean. I replaced the flasher a few years back when I replaced the head lamps with the LEDs from Allison.

Also, my automatic signal cancel doesn't work. Not sure if that's important but I'm adding it.

Any thoughts?
1979 Fiat 2000 "Luigi"

ORFORD2004
Your car is a: 1983 PININFARINA

Postby ORFORD2004 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:57 pm

Also, my automatic signal cancel doesn't work. Not sure if that's important but I'm adding it.

You have a pin under your steering that goes in a hole in the plastic flasher cover. That hole cancel flasher.

ORFORD2004
Your car is a: 1983 PININFARINA

Postby ORFORD2004 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:59 pm

The dash indicator light for the turn signals always flickers

Bad ground somewhere.

Return to “Electrical Issues”