Gotta love that wiring . . .
dinghyguy
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1981 spider

mystery wires

Postby dinghyguy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:53 pm

Hi all,

Todays puzzle question from the dungeon for the brain trust.

1979 carb model with original carb replaced by a 32adf.

In the course of sorting out wiring issues, cleaning terminals, etc etc I lowered the relay tray to reconnect the "chime" (which is the most obnoxious buzzer in the world by the way), and to see if i could restore the seatbelt warning light system (everything else is working).

I discovered a pink wire and white wire which had been cut off, (both the same length suggesting they go together somewhere). The wires come from the big bundle that feeds the relay tray. Inspection of the relays and timers shows no obvious cut wires sticking up so I don't think the wires connected to any of the existing relays, the chime or the wiper timer.

So what did the white and pink wires connect to?

Tests with a meter do not reveal any voltage with key in our out or in the run position in either wire. I did not start the car and check if that makes a difference.

Reading the circuit diagrams and the wiring guide I did not find any obvious missing components.

Additional clues or perhaps more confusion. The seatbelt light and buzzer circuit do not work, but when the key is inserted and turned to "on" all the relays click and assuming the seat belt buzzer is the same buzzer as the door open buzzer, I know the buzzer works. The brake light bulb works and the seatbelt bulb is good. There is continuity to the relay panel from the seatbelt light.

I do not know if the seatbelt switch exists or is connected yet and I don't want to remove the central console until I have to.

Are the pink and white wires part of the seatbelt warning system?
Are they part of some pollution control system which has been removed when the carb was changed?
Am I missing a component of some sort, if so what?

As always thanks.

dinghyguy
in the dungeon
1981 Red Spider "Redbob"
1972 blue Volvo 1800ES "Bob"
1998 Red Ford Ranger

baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Re: mystery wires

Postby baltobernie » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:02 pm

Pink and white is key buzzer in my '73. With the key in the ignition, you should have continuity between these two wires. Circuit is broken when key is removed. Circuit closed + voltage from the courtesy door light switch = buzz.

dinghyguy
Patron 2018
Patron 2018

Postby dinghyguy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:06 am

Hmmmm. But the buzzer already works when key in and door opened. Looking at circuit diag all looks right.
Colors match diag

Thanks but still puzzled

Dingyguy
In the dungeon
1981 Red Spider "Redbob"
1998 Red Ford Ranger

zachmac
Your car is a: 1978 Spider [1979 2 ltr engine]

Postby zachmac » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:13 am

Are you certain it is a pink wire and NOT a pink wire with black dots or tracing? The only pink wire in any wiring diagram I've seen is from the ignition switch to the #1 fuse on the supply side. There IS a pink and black wire that goes from the seat belt switch (the sensor that the belt is connected) form under the seat to the seat belt relay in the tray.

White wires tend to be hot with ignition on and fed from fuse #1. Again, there is a white with black tracing wire shown in the seat belt circuit. You have to look close as sometimes they used a trace color line but sometimes just black dots every so often along the wire. Try a continuity check between the "pink" wire and the connector under the seat for the seat belts.
Jeff Klein, Aiken, SC
1980 FI Spider, Veridian with Tan (sold about a year ago), in the market for another project
1989 Spider, sold
2008 Mercedes SL65
2008 S600 Mercedes V12

dinghyguy
Patron 2018
Patron 2018

Postby dinghyguy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:31 pm

Thanks for more suggestions.

I too saw the pink wire to the relay and looked carefully, nothing obvious is not connected. I am going to remove the black tape off the bundle in the off chance the PO cut the wire and then taped it all up so the cut is not visible (just thought of that while typing this)

Today I tested the timer in the seatbelt circuit by closing the door, releasing the e brake and inserted the key and turned it. If I read the diagnostics right the brake alarm light and the seatbelt light should come on for 5 sec. Nada, nothing, no action. So now I suspect the timer might be toast. More investigation to follow. Will also test the brake fluid reservoir switch to see if it makes the brake alarm light work.

This is almost the last electrical mystery and it will be solved!

cheers from the dungeon
1981 Red Spider "Redbob"
1998 Red Ford Ranger

Return to “Electrical Issues”