Unexplained sudden engine stopping

Gotta love that wiring . . .
nlspider
Your car is a: 1982 fiat spider

Unexplained sudden engine stopping

Postby nlspider » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:01 am

Hi, new member here. We have a 1982 Spider. Car was restored a few years back. All original setup as far as I can tell. I only have basic mechanical knowledge so bear with me.

Car starts fine. Driving along with no problem then suddenly the engine just stops dead. Try the key again and nothing. Had car towed to local garage. When they tried the car started. Had alternator checked said to be ok. Replaced battery (my wife insisted, it's her car). The problem has recurred several times. Very frustrating.

I've read on this site that the ignition switch can be a problem with these cars. Do you think that might be the problem? Any suggestions. Thanks

AriK
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider

Re: Unexplained sudden engine stopping

Postby AriK » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:12 am

When you try starting and you get nothing do you mean total silence? Does the starter turn slow, click, or crank continously without starting
:?:

narfire
Your car is a: 1980 124 spider

Postby narfire » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:21 am

Take the dist. cap off and have a look at the wires from the pick up. They get brittle and break with time. Quick fix actually with the dist. in place.
Also behind the coil is a module and I had an issue where the connection was bad. That stopped the car as well.
80 FI spider
72 work in progress
2017 Golf R ( APR Stg. 1)
2018 F350 crew long box

SanJoseSteve
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Postby SanJoseSteve » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:40 am

I had this happen to me in my 72' 124 one time. Driving down the highway, I experienced a complete shutdown.... for a moment.... then all was well. Happened again a few mile later. Just for a moment, but everything went dead all at once. 3rd time it died and stayed dead. Had to pull over.

While turning the key to absolutely no effect, I noticed that not even the second hand on the clock was turning. That was the clue. I got under the steering column and discovered one of the leads to the ignition switch was loose. Pressed it back on and all was well. Got home and put a good crimp in that connector. Will never happen again.

Steve (The Fiat driving) Ferrari

nlspider

Postby nlspider » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:56 pm

Thanks for the comments and suggestions so far. When car stopped there was nothing when he key was turned. The dash lights did light up and power went to radio and fan.

AriK
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider

Postby AriK » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:28 pm

Ok that detail helps alot. Car shuts down and there's total silence when you turn the key.
On the drivers side of the engine compartment very near to the oil filter there are two wires to pay special attention to, red and brown. There are bullet connectors connecting each respective wire. Those bullets are weak points in the ignition system, the connections fail with time. Unplug them and clean the connection. Some folks eliminate the bullets altogether and solder the wires permanently, that's okay the bullet connectors only served to simplify assembly at the factory.
Also trace those same wires on the ignition switch. Red is connector 50 and brown is 30 on the switch. In the start position 30 powers 50. You may want to giggle the wires with your fingers while you activate the start position to rule out a bad ignition switch.
Also check the connector block several inches downstream from the ignition switch, take it apart, look for burn evidence, corroded terminals, etc. and clean.
If you suspect overheated wiring, you may want to integrate relays into those circuits. A quick search on the forum will reveal more info on that subject. It's simpler than it sounds.
Hope this helps.

nlspider

Postby nlspider » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:48 pm

AriK wrote:Ok that detail helps alot. Car shuts down and there's total silence when you turn the key.
On the drivers side of the engine compartment very near to the oil filter there are two wires to pay special attention to, red and brown. There are bullet connectors connecting each respective wire. Those bullets are weak points in the ignition system, the connections fail with time. Unplug them and clean the connection. Some folks eliminate the bullets altogether and solder the wires permanently, that's okay the bullet connectors only served to simplify assembly at the factory.
Also trace those same wires on the ignition switch. Red is connector 50 and brown is 30 on the switch. In the start position 30 powers 50. You may want to giggle the wires with your fingers while you activate the start position to rule out a bad ignition switch.
Also check the connector block several inches downstream from the ignition switch, take it apart, look for burn evidence, corroded terminals, etc. and clean.
If you suspect overheated wiring, you may want to integrate relays into those circuits. A quick search on the forum will reveal more info on that subject. It's simpler than it sounds.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have a look.

nlspider

Postby nlspider » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:00 pm

Had the ignition control module replaced. It was visibly corroded. So far the car seems to be working fine. Thanks for the advice. I'll check the other items mentioned in the posts to see if any preventive maintenance is needed.

Return to “Electrical Issues”