81 Spider 2000 ignition switch problem?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
DUCeditor
Your car is a: 1977 FIAT 124 Sport Spider

Re: 81 Spider 2000 ignition switch problem?

Postby DUCeditor » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:30 am

I read these comments and wonder.

The ignition switch on my `77 finally completely failed after some 39 years of use. Several attempts to "fix" the problem on its way to this total failure proved short term. What to do?

I had my mechanic install of of those East European drop-in switches. (A Lada?) He told me that its quality was not equal to the original one, but now in its second year it doing just fine. No more "damn, it won't start" disappointments when a back road drive is planned.

In other words it was a simple and inexpensive fix that seems to actually stay fixed. Maybe not for 29 years, but... ?

My car's a beauty, but she's a fun back-road toy -- and been so for my wife and I for almost 30 years -- not a totally rebuilt show queen. (although she's won a bunch of trophies over the years)

Anyhow, this is another approach. Anathema to some, perhaps. But it sure has proved less aggravating than any other I tried (or read about here on the forum).

-Don
Italian motorcycles. An Italian car. An Italian wife. What more could a man desire?

Return to “Electrical Issues”