Hazard relay

Gotta love that wiring . . .
grasshopper
Your car is a: 1976 Fiat Spider

Hazard relay

Postby grasshopper » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:51 pm

Hi all. I have a 76 Spider. When turning on my hazard switch I hear a buzzing sound but nothing is blinking. Where is the hazard relay located. I can hear it but cant locate it..

zachmac
Your car is a: 1978 Spider [1979 2 ltr engine]

Re: Hazard relay

Postby zachmac » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:31 am

On a 77 it should be up under the dash near the steering column area.

BTW, I previously sent you a link to Brad Artigue's excellent wiring diagrams for your car. Did you print them out? Page 8 shows you the location of all the relays. We are all willing to help here but please do your homework. Print out those prints and spend time studying them. If you are unfamiliar with how to read single line electrical prints there are lots of tutorials on U-tube.
Jeff Klein, Aiken, SC
1980 FI Spider, Veridian with Tan (sold about a year ago), in the market for another project
1989 Spider, sold
2008 Mercedes SL65
2008 S600 Mercedes V12

spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Postby spider2081 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:26 am

I think a 76 Spider has both a signal light flasher and a Hazard light flasher. The hazard light flasher is mounted to the firewall behind the instrument cluster. The Hazard flasher operates on the "hot all the time" circuit while the signal operates of the "hot in start and run" circuit. I would check the fuse connections for the appropriate circuit and light bulbs and sockets before taking the dash apart. Do all the signal lights work properly and equal brightness??

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:14 am

zachmac wrote:On a 77 it should be up under the dash near the steering column area.

BTW, I previously sent you a link to Brad Artigue's excellent wiring diagrams for your car. Did you print them out? Page 8 shows you the location of all the relays. We are all willing to help here but please do your homework. Print out those prints and spend time studying them. If you are unfamiliar with how to read single line electrical prints there are lots of tutorials on U-tube.

I did download the wiring diagrams thanks. The 76 Spider seems to have different wiring for some things though and when I can't figure something out, I post my questions. Thanks for the help.

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:13 pm

None of the signal lights work any of the time. I checked all bulbs and they look ok. When I turn on my hazard switch,it lights up but the relay behind the dash just buzzes without stopping. I took off the instrument panel and looked at the hazard relay switch. I tapped it to see if it would stop buzzing and start clicking, but it just buzzes. The connections all look like they are good. Can I assume that the problem is with the hazard relay ? Also,how can I remove the actual hazard switch ? Do I need to take the centre console out to get to it because it does not pull out of the console. Is there any way of testing this hazard relay ? Sorry,but this electrical stuff is all confusing for me...

spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Postby spider2081 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:48 pm

When signal lights and hazard lights are not working properly I like to start with checking each bulb and light socket and work back to the flasher. Do you have the correct part number light bulbs in each socket. Have you checked the bulbs with an ohm meter or by applying voltage directly to the bulb to see it light? Do you have a volt meter and a test light to check circuit operation?? Have you measured the voltage on the fusses associated with the signal and hazard circuits. There are 2 fuses

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:21 pm

No to almost all those questions. I'm pretty sure the bulbs are the right bulbs and they are good. Another question though,,does the wiper motor get power even when ignition switch is off ? And also,do the hazard and signal lights share the same relay as the ignition and fuel pump. My Spider is a 76. Sorry for all the questions. This is a new car for me and the electrical has been quite challenging,,especially for someone that sucks at electrical :oops:

RRoller123
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 FI SPIDER 2000

Postby RRoller123 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:42 am

An awful lot of wiring goes through the hazard switch, it has a ring connector on the back (on my '80 anyway) that is prone to coming loose and will wreak havoc across almost everything lit or blinking in the car.
'80 FI Spider 2000
'74 and '79 X1/9 (past)
'75 BMW R75/6
2011 Chevy Malibu (daily driver)
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Ext Cab 4WD/STD BED
2002 Edgewater 175CC 80HP 4-Stroke Yamaha
2003 Jaguar XK8
2003 Jaguar XKR
2021 Jayco 22RB
2019 Bianchi Torino Bicycle

geert
Your car is a: 1977 1800spider

Postby geert » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:44 pm

grasshopper wrote:None of the signal lights work any of the time. I checked all bulbs and they look ok. When I turn on my hazard switch,it lights up but the relay behind the dash just buzzes without stopping. I took off the instrument panel and looked at the hazard relay switch. I tapped it to see if it would stop buzzing and start clicking, but it just buzzes. The connections all look like they are good. Can I assume that the problem is with the hazard relay ? Also,how can I remove the actual hazard switch ? Do I need to take the centre console out to get to it because it does not pull out of the console. Is there any way of testing this hazard relay ? Sorry,but this electrical stuff is all confusing for me...

Fiat's are great cars .... when the electrical Gremlins are gone and you can keep the smoke in the wiring .

unfortunately for you the problem you have is in an complex area , and the electrical diagrams in those years are quite fuzzy, with Italian Fiats, American Fiats, Californicated Fiats etc.

where to start ?
1/ the hazard switch is a complex switch because it not only has to work for opening the circuit for letting the hazard relay blinking the four lights ; but also has to stop the other circuit for letting the signal lights ( the same lights) not working even when the signal lights are in on position.
Thats the reason for al those wires on the hazard switch.
position 1 = hazard circuit on, signal lights circuit off
position 2= hazard circuit off, signal lights circuit on

2/ the hazard relay ( and the signal light relay ) are not really relays but divices working on a "bimetal"
( not sure if that word exists in English):
if a current comes over that bimetal it heats and change position = clicking, and stops the current =stops the light ( blinking). Current stops = stops heating bimetal change position again = clicking and current again .... etc.
However if not enough current ( lights not working, lower amp lamps, etc) there is not enough heath and lights stay on without blinking. ( and with a bad earth sometimes fast blinking ( more heath).

So ....

I would suggest - as stated above by Spider2081 - to start on the outside : are the 4 signal lights really working ? 1/ bulb ( probably ok) 2/ earth 3/ wiring loom , 4/ the indicator lights on the dashboard ok?.
If that's ok, change a "relay" for a new one or one known to be good

Hope this helps you a little bit further, and ask your questions,
When you 've solved the problem, I will feel great.
( as the French say : A vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire)
groeten, Geert.

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:15 pm

Thanks for taking the time for me. I will do all the above and see what happens. One quick question,,,can I take the hazard switch off of the centre console by just pulling it off or do I have to get at it from the back of that centre console ? Again my Spider is a 76,,,Thanks again...

RRoller123
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 FI SPIDER 2000

Postby RRoller123 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:17 pm

On my 80, it is secured with a screw on bezel type back to secure it in place, so the mid console has to come out, if I remember correctly. Has been awhile since I pulled that apart.
'80 FI Spider 2000
'74 and '79 X1/9 (past)
'75 BMW R75/6
2011 Chevy Malibu (daily driver)
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Ext Cab 4WD/STD BED
2002 Edgewater 175CC 80HP 4-Stroke Yamaha
2003 Jaguar XK8
2003 Jaguar XKR
2021 Jayco 22RB
2019 Bianchi Torino Bicycle

zachmac
Your car is a: 1978 Spider [1979 2 ltr engine]

Postby zachmac » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:32 pm

grasshopper wrote:No to almost all those questions. I'm pretty sure the bulbs are the right bulbs and they are good. Another question though,,does the wiper motor get power even when ignition switch is off ? And also,do the hazard and signal lights share the same relay as the ignition and fuel pump. My Spider is a 76. Sorry for all the questions. This is a new car for me and the electrical has been quite challenging,,especially for someone that sucks at electrical :oops:

If you are saying you don't have a good multi-meter and test light then you are wasting your time. You need one or the other at a minimum, or both, to trouble shoot wiring.
Jeff Klein, Aiken, SC
1980 FI Spider, Veridian with Tan (sold about a year ago), in the market for another project
1989 Spider, sold
2008 Mercedes SL65
2008 S600 Mercedes V12

Return to “Electrical Issues”