Dual points to Electronic Ignition conversion

Gotta love that wiring . . .
LuisMateoSpider
Your car is a: 124CS1 - Spider 1978

Dual points to Electronic Ignition conversion

Postby LuisMateoSpider » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:02 pm

I wanted to post my conversion from dual points to electronic ignition
This is a great upgrade for my 78', and in my case it fixed issues firing it up in the mornings, dead spot at lower RPM when cold, sputtered when turning off the ignition and the fact that I was left stranded twice this year due to temperamental points :cry:

This was my set up, after taking it apart I noticed that the right side point had worn out and that previous owner had disabled it all together. The cream color cable went nowhere... (why leave the point there?! :?)

The electronic ignition conversion kit called to wire both cables to the coil and I wonder if decommissioning the green/back cables that used to feed the points will affect anything?

The installation was really simple, the only modification was that the bolt holding the module and the bracket were too close to each other and I shaved the bolt head to fit. The instructions are not very clear and I wanted to post the position of the bracket.
My distributor is a S144 and the PerTronix Ignitor MR-LS1 fits perfectly, I got it on Ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/201377666385)
I'm very happy with the results :D

So Cal Mark
Your car is a: Fiat

Re: Dual points to Electronic Ignition conversion

Postby So Cal Mark » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:03 am

you leave the 2nd set of points as a spare, that way you only have to swap the wire over rather than dig in the glove box for the spare you can't find
Mark Allison
allisonsautomotive.com Fiat and Alfa Romeo parts and service. Performance parts our specialty!
Headers, ignitions, wheels, cams, flywheels
starsmark@hotmail.com 909-981-3566

Return to “Electrical Issues”