Dashboard Lights Not Working. SOLVED

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Nitrate
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat 2000

Dashboard Lights Not Working. SOLVED

Postby Nitrate » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:57 pm

Turns out the large red plastic connector buried behind the upper consol, that holds about 8 connections, had come uncoupled. I unscrewed the wooden dashboard to check that all the bulbs hadn't burned out, confirmed they had not but now hi / low beam indicator light and turn signal dash indicator lights don't work. Could I have dislodged them somehow when I reinstalled the dash? I noticed I hit a slight snag/bump when the wood finally seated back in the dash. RB

Sscottdvm
Your car is a: Fiat 124 1971

Re: Dashboard Lights Not Working. SOLVED

Postby Sscottdvm » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:29 pm

Was searching the forum for the same problem. Says SOLVED. What did you find. My turn signal idicator occasionally flicks green for a second but the high/ low indicator doesn't work. The lights work correctly and I can hear the clicking from the turn signals. All fuses ok. Everything worked fine this morning. It seems to have happened after I was trying to lubricate the accelerator and clutch. Thought maybe I jiggled something loose but can't see anything
1978 Fiat Spider 124
BMW M3 2008
Subaru Forester 2008
MGB 1971,

klweimer
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Postby klweimer » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:48 pm

All these lights are just pressed into metal sleeves attached to each instrument, actually pretty easy to pull one part way out or all the way out. The bulbs depend on the metal sleeves for their ground, so no contact, no light. These sleeves can also get sort of corroded and make the ground intermittent. You can try to re-seat from the back, that's a real challenge. Pulling the dash and replacing all the suspects is the best way to go.

Sscottdvm
Your car is a: Fiat 124 1971

Postby Sscottdvm » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:00 pm

May do that. I checked the flasher and the blue wire that's supposed to go to it from the dash isn't there. I assume someone spliced different color wires. It's odd that it lights up for a split second and the high beam indicator went out at the same time. I'm afraid to pull the dash and loosen something else up in there. Just loosening the dash, all kinds of dried plastic started shedding down.
1978 Fiat Spider 124
BMW M3 2008
Subaru Forester 2008
MGB 1971,

Return to “Electrical Issues”