Brown Wire question and while my interior is out

Gotta love that wiring . . .
JohnMc
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1970 Fiat 124

Re: Brown Wire question and while my interior is out

Postby JohnMc » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:58 pm

To me it only makes sense to use a relay for the starter. I also put in a new gear reduction starter from AR - my gosh the two together are great. Also really liked AR's relay system for headlights - simple, easy to follow and worked great.

bjbrown
Your car is a: 1980 fiat spider 2000

Postby bjbrown » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:33 pm

Spider2081, Thanks for your comments! On the photos you posted of your engine bay showing the mounting of the relays, I noticed a couple of things.

1. It appears you have a fuse block mounted adjacent to the relays, right? What are those fuses for? The systems associated with the relays? Anything else?
    2. What's the cable mounted to the accelerator cable sheath by the little metal clip?
Boise, Idaho
1980 Spider 2000 EFI
1972 Sport Spider 850

spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Postby spider2081 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:31 pm

It appears you have a fuse block mounted adjacent to the relays, right? What are those fuses for? The systems associated with the relays? Anything else?

I run a #6 wire direct from the alternator output post to feed the fuse panel. All of the relays power for the loads ( headlights, coolant fan, starter solenoid, wipers and driving lights are fused with that panel. The original fuse panel protects the wires that control the relays.

The cable and clamp you mention are for my cruise control. It is no longer on the market. It is an AudioVox CCS-100. Has worked amazingly well for the past 10 years and over 30,000 miles. The vacuum controller for the cruise control is mounted where the windshield washer bottle is normally installed.

courtenay
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Postby courtenay » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:43 pm

spider2081 wrote:
It appears you have a fuse block mounted adjacent to the relays, right? What are those fuses for? The systems associated with the relays? Anything else?

I run a #6 wire direct from the alternator output post to feed the fuse panel. All of the relays power for the loads ( headlights, coolant fan, starter solenoid, wipers and driving lights are fused with that panel. The original fuse panel protects the wires that control the relays.

The cable and clamp you mention are for my cruise control. It is no longer on the market. It is an AudioVox CCS-100. Has worked amazingly well for the past 10 years and over 30,000 miles. The vacuum controller for the cruise control is mounted where the windshield washer bottle is normally installed.

What amp fuses are you using for the relays? And what amp relay did you use for the starter?
Bruce Shearer
'80 Spider Fi
'10 Volvo XC70
'06 GMC 1 Ton PU
'72 Spider a long, long time ago

spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Postby spider2081 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:32 am

I use # 12 wire for the new wires. The fuses I use are: Starter 25 amps. The surge current for the solenoid is pretty high current. The headlight relays control both headlights so I use 15 amps for the headlight fuses. The coolant fan and driving lights are a 15 amp. The windshield wipers is 10 amps. I use Bosch styled cube relays that have a sealed external case. I do not use the relay sockets as the wires that come with them are usually to short and the wire size is #16. So I route the #12 wire direct to the relay and install new terminals. I am now using a covered fuse panel but it looks similar to the one in photo. My car shown in the photo was done piece meal and I did not have the correct Fiat wire colors. I now have the correct colors for all the circuits to follow Fiat color code.

Return to “Electrical Issues”