LED Instrument Lights

Gotta love that wiring . . .
kmac33
Your car is a: 1974 Spider

Re: LED Instrument Lights

Postby kmac33 » Fri May 20, 2011 4:35 pm

In my opinion, they are perfect. Not too bright at all.
If I had the dash installed I'd take some night time pictures, but, alas, I am smack dab in the middle of dash wood version 3.0, so everything is out of the car.
Kevin McMullen

1974 Fiat Spider - Restoration Complete! But the mods/refinements continue
1980 Fiat Spider
2013 Subaru WRX

akavinn1

Postby akavinn1 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:11 pm

how many bulbes are in the dash total ? i seen them on ebay for $.95

kmac33

Postby kmac33 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:18 pm

If I remember correctly 13 or 14 total for all gauges.
Kevin McMullen

1980 Fiat Spider
2013 Subaru WRX

JFreeman

Postby JFreeman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:19 pm

I 'm rebuilding my instruments now and am doing a 100% conversion to LED on everything (dash panel, indicators, running lights, blinkers, etc) except the tail lights. Most LED bulbs are polarized and that causes a problem with the tail lights on the `79 on Spiders. Fiat designed the PC board with reversed polarity on the tail lights and while a few LED bulbs are polarity independent, the low wattage equivalent ones aren't made that way (at least I haven't found any so far.) SupebrightLEDs.com is the way to go - they have virtually everything including warm white LEDs if you want a warmer glow to your instrument lights.. If anyone is interested I can give you an itemized list of every bulb you'll need. In addition to the tail lights, they won't have an LED replacement for the tiny bulb in the hazard switch. Get out your wallet though - a full conversion is likly to run you a couple hundred bucks.

fiat218
Your car is a: 1969 124 AS spider

Postby fiat218 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:57 pm

i will take one freeman, thanks
Jim
East Grand Forks MN
1970 Fiat Spider BS1 ( FOR SALE
1969 124 AS Spider
2017 Abrath
2018 Alfa Romeo 4c Spider

JFreeman

Postby JFreeman » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:42 pm

fiat218 wrote:i will take one freeman, thanks

PM sent.

Good news folks - I just calculated the cost and their prices have dropped. As best I can tell, it looks like you should be able to do this for about $115 plus shipping.

FiatColombia1

Postby FiatColombia1 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:47 am

I'll take one too. Thanks

leftfield6

Postby leftfield6 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:50 am

I had a burned out bulb in my gas gause, so I put in one LED as an experiment. So right now I have one gauge illuminated with an LED, the other gauges illuminated with old (as in age) incandescent bulbs.

The gas gauge is now a much "whiter" color, but other than that it works exactly as do the incandescent bulbs, in that it dims with the rheostat. I'll be switching out my other bulbs to match the gas gauge now.

JFreeman, why not just post that info here in the thread? Seems like there is a general level of interest. :)

azygoustoyou

Postby azygoustoyou » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:25 am

could you make a list of each light needed with the part #s. :P
Or can I just look at the # of each light and know what I need? They do have #'s on them, right?

leftfield6

Postby leftfield6 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:33 pm

As long as you know the standard bulb number, http://www.superbrightleds.com can show you the LED equivalent of what fits into that physical bulb holder. What takes a little more "nuance" is knowing which of the LED patterns and number of LEDs to choose.

For example, the dash lights in my Spider are base # 194, but on superbrightleds, I now have to decide which of the different versions I want. I can get that base with one LED, four LEDS, five LEDS, or six. Also you need to consider the pattern, either 32 or 90 degrees

See this link:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/ ... LED-x5.htm

You will see tabs for the 4 different versions of a bulb that will fit your dash lights.

I'm using the LEDx4 with the 32 degree orientation in cool white for my dash lights.

JFreeman

Postby JFreeman » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:02 pm

leftfield6 wrote:I had a burned out bulb in my gas gause, so I put in one LED as an experiment. So right now I have one gauge illuminated with an LED, the other gauges illuminated with old (as in age) incandescent bulbs.

The gas gauge is now a much "whiter" color, but other than that it works exactly as do the incandescent bulbs, in that it dims with the rheostat. I'll be switching out my other bulbs to match the gas gauge now.

JFreeman, why not just post that info here in the thread? Seems like there is a general level of interest. :)

Here you go!

A few of caveats:
1. The Brake light won't work in '79 and older Spider because the polarity is reversed and none of the BA15 base bulbs are polarity independent.
2. The Alternator bulb should probably stay conventional. That circuit works on a differential of voltage across both sides of the bulb. An LED will definitely work if there is zero output from the alternator. However, if the alternator output is low or high with the engine running, then chances are you'll never know it with an LED bulb in place. With a conventional bulb you could probably at least see a glow. A conventional bulb is what I've switched back to.
3. Once all of the instrument illumination is converted to LED, the dimmer function doesn't seem to work.
4. All of my instrument illumination was done with Cool White Bulbs and IMO, the instruments really look sharp under cool white light.

Outside Lamps

Bulb Location.............................Superbright LED Part #

Front Park/Blinker.......................1157-A24
Front Side.................................WLED-A
Rear Side..................................WLED-R
Tail.........................................N/A.............................Note: Bulb holder is reversed polarity; LED won't work
Brake.......................................1156-R24
Rear Blinker...............................1156-A24
License Plate..............................67-W9

Inside Lamps

Inside Courtesy............................3710-CWHP3
Instrument Illumination..................WLED-WHP
Clock Illumination.........................BA9S-W
Low Fuel....................................BA9S-R
Oil Warning.................................WLED-R
Alt Warning.................................WLED-R............Note: Use of LED Bulb negates full diagnostic value of ALT light
Turn Signal Indicator......................WLED-G
Lights On Indicator........................WLED-G
High Beam..................................WLED-B
Oil Gauge Warning (if equipped)........BA9S-R
Seat Belt Warning..........................WLED-R
Parking Brake...............................WLED-R
O2 Sensor Reminder.......................WLED-R
Trunk Light..................................BA9s-CWHP6.......Note: Requires very mild modification to base of fixture
Electronic Flasher..........................FL3-RED.............Needed to flash LED bulbs - replaces stock flasher

Total Quatities:
Part No. Quantity Cost Ea. Extended Cost
WLED-WHP......5.............$4.95.......$24.75
WLED-A..........2.............$0.79.......$1.58
WLED-R..........7.............$0.79.......$5.53
WLED-G..........2.............$0.79.......$1.58
WLED-B..........1.............$0.79.......$0.79
BA9S-W..........1.............$0.98.......$0.98
BA9s-R...........2.............$0.98.......$1.96
BA9s-CWHP6....1.............$4.95.......$4.95
1157-A24........2.............$7.49.......$14.98
1156-R24........2.............$7.49.......$14.98
1156-A24........2.............$7.49.......$14.98
67-W9............2.............$2.99.......$5.98
3710-CWHP3....1.............$7.95.......$7.95
FL3-RED.........1.............$12.95......$12.95
Total......................................$113.94

kmac33

Postby kmac33 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:16 pm

Guys,
You also need to confirm the diameter of the LED you order. The first set I ordered were "5 LED" bulbs that were 1mm too wide to fit in our gauges.
Incidentally, I also switched my alternator indicator bulb back to a standard bulb for the reasons mentioned by James.
Kevin McMullen

1980 Fiat Spider
2013 Subaru WRX

azygoustoyou

Postby azygoustoyou » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:31 pm

Nicely done James!!! :P

JFreeman

Postby JFreeman » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:42 pm

kmac33 wrote:Guys,
You also need to confirm the diameter of the LED you order. The first set I ordered were "5 LED" bulbs that were 1mm too wide to fit in our gauges.
Incidentally, I also switched my alternator indicator bulb back to a standard bulb for the reasons mentioned by James.

All of the part numbers I quoted fit with zero problems with the exception of the trunk light. It's difficult to explain in text, but the way the fixture is designed the bulb drops in from the bottom. The LED is too big to do that so you need to use a dremel tool or file to cut little slots in the bulb holder to allow it to slide in from the top. It only takes 10 minutes of so to modify. I can post photos if needed.

SLOSpider
Your car is a: 1973 124 Spider 2.0FI

Postby SLOSpider » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:27 am

Just ordered some for my 73. But needed 6 instruments plus one for the clock. If I don't like them Ill post in the for sale :D $40.00 for 7 bulbs with priority shipping, damn they better make me breakfast in the morning.

Also didn't realize that the later cars had shallower gages then the older ones. I think I like the deeper ones even if it is harder to get out of the dash. I removed and cleaned up the glass on the older one tonight which go me thinking about LED bulbs so they would not get as hot.

Thanks for the information it helped a ton! Wish we had STICKIES !!!!

1975 124 Spider
1976 Mazda Cosmo http://www.mazdacosmo.com
1989 Chevy k5 Blazer
1967 GT Mustang Fastback

Return to “Electrical Issues”