LED Instrument Lights

Gotta love that wiring . . .
davery
Your car is a: 1985 Spider

Re: LED Instrument Lights

Postby davery » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:57 pm

SLOSpider wrote:Ok so I got the other bulbs in and as stated removed the clock base and switched it to a standard 194 base from another dash. Works MUCH better. Here are some pics of it being tested with my motorcycle battery tender on the kitchen counter. Yes ladies Im single so I can do these things in the kitchen :D

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I am converting my dash to LED's. I ran into the clock base issue and I am wanting to do the same. Any idea where to get a standard 194 base to replace the OEM clock base. Or would this bulb fit in the OEM clock base?

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... utes/10855
Don Avery
Dayton, OH/Sarasota,FL
1985 Pininfarina
2011 Eos
2012 Mercedes E550 Cabriolet

PhillySpider
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Postby PhillySpider » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:54 am

davery wrote:
SLOSpider wrote:Ok so I got the other bulbs in and as stated removed the clock base and switched it to a standard 194 base from another dash. Works MUCH better. Here are some pics of it being tested with my motorcycle battery tender on the kitchen counter. Yes ladies Im single so I can do these things in the kitchen :D

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I am converting my dash to LED's. I ran into the clock base issue and I am wanting to do the same. Any idea where to get a standard 194 base to replace the OEM clock base. Or would this bulb fit in the OEM clock base?

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... utes/10855

Bumping an old thread, but much has changed in the LED world. Considering replacing all lamps with LED's while i have the cluster out, but I want a uniform light pattern. Some pics look like the guages are bright up top, dark on bottom, one side brighter than the other etc. Looks like you can go narrow 15 degree to 180 degree and they're dimmable as well. Anyone do this research recently and wish to share what worked or you'd do differently?

gchocevar
Your car is a: 1979 Pininfarina 2000

Postby gchocevar » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:02 pm

Still kicking this can down the road. A year later I am wondering if PhillySpider got an answer to his question. Now there are more LED options. The original dash bulbs are #158 and produce about 26 lumens. I don't want to be "blinded by the light". Does anyone have any comments on which option worked best for the instrument lighting with a #195 LED lamp?

30, 60 or 90 lumens.
front illumination (30-60-120 degrees ) or 360 degrees
non-dimmable or dimmable
white or natural light

Thanks,
Greg

TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Postby TX82FIAT » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:27 am

Greg, I can't remember what LED's I put in back in 2012. I don't think I had that many options back then that would fit the instruments. I will tell you that the clock is unique and whatever type I used needs more light. I would suggest the 360 light for the clock to more closely resemble the original bulb for the best lighting.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban

Return to “Electrical Issues”