How to pass SMOG

Keep it on topic, it will make it easier to find what you need.
77Spider

Re: How to pass SMOG

Postby 77Spider » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:37 pm

Hope this thread pops back to the top! Anyway I also have a 77 Spider ready for testing. The car was originally from Georgia and has some sticker on it hat says no cat converter required or something. Someone at some point did install a smog pump but I drove the car with it not hooked up. The car sat 13 years but my resto is nearly finished. Should I hook back that pump? is it even mandatory for this vehicle now in 2010? I expect my mechanic will have it running very smooth and clean... any thoughts? I'm in So Kali area too.

Jeff

SLOSpider
Your car is a: 1973 124 Spider 2.0FI

Postby SLOSpider » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:48 am

77Spider wrote:Hope this thread pops back to the top! Anyway I also have a 77 Spider ready for testing. The car was originally from Georgia and has some sticker on it hat says no cat converter required or something. Someone at some point did install a smog pump but I drove the car with it not hooked up. The car sat 13 years but my resto is nearly finished. Should I hook back that pump? is it even mandatory for this vehicle now in 2010? I expect my mechanic will have it running very smooth and clean... any thoughts? I'm in So Kali area too.

Jeff

The pump might be seized at this point. Yes you not only need to hook it back up but it has to be working! You will also need to have all the egr and air injection rails in place for it to smog ... legally.
1975 124 Spider
1976 Mazda Cosmo http://www.mazdacosmo.com
1989 Chevy k5 Blazer
1967 GT Mustang Fastback

cpaulreed
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat Sport Spider

Postby cpaulreed » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:24 pm

Few questions regarding this thread...

Can anybody outline or estimate what the costs are for getting an 82 Fiat Smog tested? Is its in the $5k range? Would be great if people could list prices they are spending!

Does anybody have a good fiat mechanic in SoCal? I'm in Los Angeles and struggling to find a local mechanic.

Thanks!

SLOSpider
Your car is a: 1973 124 Spider 2.0FI

Postby SLOSpider » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:43 pm

Is your 1982 all stock? smog test cost are minimal usually around $60.00 or less. If your missing the cat and factory smog equipment then you will need to locate them. Need more information. Has this car been smoged before in California? There a shops in the LA area that work on Alfas and old Fiats and google is your friend. If you can go east to Allison Automotive it wold be worth the drive.
1975 124 Spider
1976 Mazda Cosmo http://www.mazdacosmo.com
1989 Chevy k5 Blazer
1967 GT Mustang Fastback

Stuknot
Your car is a: 1977 124 Spider

Postby Stuknot » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:05 am

SLOSpider wrote:Is your 1982 all stock? smog test cost are minimal usually around $60.00 or less. If your missing the cat and factory smog equipment then you will need to locate them. Need more information. Has this car been smoged before in California? There a shops in the LA area that work on Alfas and old Fiats and google is your friend. If you can go east to Allison Automotive it wold be worth the drive.

Agreed - Allison's Automotive in Upland, off the 10 fwy east of Pomona. As I said in another thread this morning, I was told by a guy in OC that my 77 wouldn't pass smog this year but Mark got it through with no issues.

wubie317
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat Spider

Postby wubie317 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:17 pm

Oakland Spider--

I also have a '77 in the south bay area and I've been really lucky...passed every time. It's true, you must have all the smog equipment on and working--that's the minimum table stakes. For me, the only hiccup came when I set the timing to 10°. My smog shop said it was not 'in spec' as the manual says 0°. I adjusted that...it ran like crap...but I passed. The other one is the fuel cap...watch for old cracked rubber gasket.

While I'm no expert on the gas analysis (nor even up to amateur level), it seems to me that you're only off on the air/fuel. I'd say just lean it out (tighten the mixture screw on the carb (stock ADFA?) until it sounds noticeably worse, then loosen 1/4 to a 1/2 turn). If it's having no effect, you likely have some old cracked vacuum hoses. Simple replacement.

cpaulreed
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat Sport Spider

Postby cpaulreed » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:39 pm

Is there a list of all the smog equipment required somewhere?

geospider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

Postby geospider » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:44 pm

Had quite a time with this. '79: the standards are ridiculous for these cars now.
Had to put smaller jets in, runs fine. passed with crazy low #s.
now to rejet to make it run better.

Great smog and carb guys over here in Concord. I can't say for sure everything was actually hooked up.

There was an assembly bill to change CA smog requirements to 1980 instead of 1975: what's happening with that.

Geo

calvinconrad
Your car is a: 1976 spider

Postby calvinconrad » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:35 pm

that bill got tabled.
1976 124

Return to “Engine and Tuning”