Exhaust Cam Gear / T-Belt Cover

Keep it on topic, it will make it easier to find what you need.
ccblunt
Your car is a: 1975 Fiat 124 Spider

Exhaust Cam Gear / T-Belt Cover

Postby ccblunt » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:55 pm

I'm getting ready to change the T-belt on my 1975 Spider, and have an odd question.

The smog pump was removed years ago, but the long mounting bracket and oversized T-belt cover are still there. So is the exhaust-side "double" cam gear (pulley), which has that second set of teeth that drove the smog pump. Of course, only one set of teeth is currently in use.

I'd like to tidy up the engine compartment, by getting rid of the long mounting bracket and swapping the huge t-belt cover for one of the smaller (yellow) ones. I have already picked up a cover, and the smaller mounting bracket it uses. But I'd like to avoid pulling cam gears if I can.

Here's my question: will the smaller T-belt cover fit over the "double" cam gear? Or does the gear stick out so far that I would need to swap it for one with a single set of teeth? The yellow cover looks like it should fit, but I can't tell for sure. Has anyone out there tried to do this?

Yadkin
Your car is a: 1974 Spider

Re: Exhaust Cam Gear / T-Belt Cover

Postby Yadkin » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:23 pm

I'm curious as to where you got your new cover. I have the same thing on my '74 (removed smog pump) and ugly lopsided cover.

BEEK
Your car is a: 1975 Spider

Postby BEEK » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:02 pm

the cover will not fit over the double pulley. You have to use the single pulley. Also make sure your new timing cover is for a 1800 or a 1608. the others will not fit. 1438 too short and 2000 too tall
Automotive Service Technology Instructor (34 year Fiat mechanic)
75 spider
, 6 Lancia Scorpions, 2018 Abarth Spider, 500X wifes, 500L 3 82 Zagatos. 82 spider 34k original miles, 83 pininfarina, 8 fiat spider parts cars
son has 78 spider

ccblunt
Your car is a: 1975 Fiat 124 Spider

Postby ccblunt » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:52 pm

BEEK, Thanks for the reply; that's what I was afraid of. Do I also need to change the way the pulley is mounted? I'm new at this; have never removed a pulley, so I don't know how it attaches --- and whether I need some kind of shorter mount for the single pulley.

Yadkin, I got the yellow plastic cover from someone on this forum who was parting out a Spider and had listed parts for sale.

Yadkin
Your car is a: 1974 Spider

Postby Yadkin » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:58 pm

I just pulled the trigger on a new gear and cover for mine. Midwest Bayless has what looks like a small inventory on used ones.

Return to “Engine and Tuning”