EGR

Keep it on topic, it will make it easier to find what you need.
geospider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

EGR

Postby geospider » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:33 pm

Hello all.
In process of the grand switch for my '79 2L. replacing the stock intake and 28/23 carb with a single plane manifold and 32/36
If I block the port from the exhaust at the head, is there any reason to block it on the intake side? any other passage as it goes through the head?
I would just pull the pipe off the exhaust manifold and plug it there, except as I was trying to get the large fitting out, it turned a few times, then just seized.

thanks

Geo

Slartibartfaster
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1979 Spider

Re: EGR

Postby Slartibartfaster » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:30 pm

Well, you got it to turn... Mine wouldn't budge. This is apparently very difficult to remove, esp with the manifold still on the engine. I don't think it matters where it's plugged, with the possible exception of imperceptably better exhaust flow if you can get the pipe off the manifold. I spent too much time researching the best solution then plugged it on the intake side. It's also possible to cut a small plate to block the pipe on the exhaust side at the gasket. I recall some have cut the pipe and plugged that.
'79 Spider
'15 Tesla Model S85D
'14 Santa Fe
'17 Civic

Texafornian
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat 124 Spider

Re: EGR

Postby Texafornian » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:13 am

I sprayed mine with PB Blaster and let it sit a couple of days, then was able to turn it. If you use a 10mm hex wrench you should be able to get it to move. I removed it and am liking the cleaner look. Eventually I will need to source a new cam cover without the pass-through. I was in the process of diagnosing some tuning issues with my carb and can't see how leaving it there and unplugged would help anything. Good luck!
Daniel

1977 Fiat 124 Spider

Return to “Engine and Tuning”