Ignition/Distributor Mystery

Keep it on topic, it will make it easier to find what you need.
wideopenplains
Your car is a: 1975 Fiat 124 Spider

Ignition/Distributor Mystery

Postby wideopenplains » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:41 pm

First off, apologies for getting any info or terminology wrong but please correct me, My car knowledge is just as much a work in progress as my car!

My 1975 Spider had been running pretty rough for awhile now, and then wouldn't start at all. I started going through the ignition parts, new cap, rotor, plugs, wires, points (just learned how to set those!) and a new coil. That's when I came across this mystery--well, mystery to me at least. I could definitely be missing something obvious here.

I did my best to set the static timing (crank pulley marks lined up, both camshaft marks lined up, rotor at #4 wire), but when set to 0 degrees on the timing belt cover the engine cranks and cranks but wont start (it should at least run--if not well--right?), even though there seems to be spark, fuel and compression at each cylinder. It cranks, and when I let go of the key, I get a couple puffs, like 2 cylinders fired then it dies.

I marked the distributor with some white out, when it was set "properly" then turned it a little. When it's about 30 degrees off, the engine will fire right up but run super rough, sounds like a Harley idling or something. Turn the distributor a little bit in wither direction and it runs worse and stalls out. I'm nervous to try putting it in gear like this, I don't want to break anything!

The picture is of the distributor in the position where it runs, the white marks would line up when it's set properly to the #4 cylinder:

kilrwail
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Sport Spider

Re: Ignition/Distributor Mystery

Postby kilrwail » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:41 pm

My first thought is that you should check the spark plug wires to be sure they're on the correct plugs. You didn't mention the condenser - did you replace it with the points?

1978 Fiat 124 Sport Spider - original owner
1977 Porsche 911S - track car
2022 Ram 4 x 4 - hauler
PCA National Instructor and Motorsport Safety Foundation Level 2 Instructor

wubie317
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat Spider

Postby wubie317 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:49 pm

A few years back when I had just purchased my '77, I was in exactly your spot. When (I believed) it was running badly, I changed out everything including the coil. But now I know that I probably didn't need to do that.

I'm not an advanced mechanic or anything, but I think your points might be gapped incorrectly. I apologize if I'm saying things you already know, but are you sure you're measuring and setting the point gap when the distributor shaft is at the very top of one of the lobes?

Do you have a dwell meter?

Nut124
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Postby Nut124 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:07 pm

OP, not sure what your problem is, sorry.

The electronic ignition in -79? and later is reliable and pretty much maintenance free. Mine has been running untouched since I set it up back in -99. They are not that expensive nowadays. You would want to buy the entire distributor assy.

Nut124

Justice777
Your car is a: 1978 Spider 124 5 spd

Postby Justice777 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:07 am

Edit: Deleted.

Return to “Engine and Tuning”