2.0L FI rebuild with carbs.

Keep it on topic, it will make it easier to find what you need.
Simon124
Your car is a: 1979 124 20L

2.0L FI rebuild with carbs.

Postby Simon124 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:53 am

Looking for some info/suggestions please. :)

I've removed my 2.0L FI engine for a rebuild/upgrade and I'm planning to rebuild it for use with twin 45 DCOEs.
RHD car, so I'm hoping these will fit?....

I'm not looking for a BHP monster, just a budget friendly upgrade to a bit more life than the standard unit without compromising the reliability.

Leave the crankshaft, flywheel & rods standard?
Standard sump and oil pump ok?
Piston recommendations? (In preference to decking the block?)
Replace camshafts?
Standard distributor ok?

New to Fiats, so any advice or pointers much appreciated.
TIA.

AndyVAS
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat 124 Spider

Re: 2.0L FI rebuild with carbs.

Postby AndyVAS » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:36 am

Why use an intake manifold with such a drastic offset when a straight one will fit just fine and provide more efficiency?

The stock crankshaft is forged so very strong. No need to change it but cut and balance it as needed.
The stock connecting rods will handle more power than the transmission but fail with high RPM use. Such as constantly over 7K.
The flywheel can be lightened and you will notice it.

Changing the oil pan is desired but there are few options. Check your ground clearance and think about adding a pan guard.
The basic oil pumps in these cars provide a lot of volume but not a lot of pressure. They work just fine but if you change the oil pan you will probably need a matching pump.

There are more piston options than one would expect for such a special little motor. Decide what compression ratio you want and check what pistons are available to get you in that neighborhood. We have several options in stock.

Performance cams will help to wake up the motor in the upper RPM range. Decide where you want your power range to and how rough an idle you're willing to live with. Then check with us and other vendors to find a cam that fits those wants.

The OEM electronic distributor works very well. Mated to an upgraded control module and dry coil will get you consistent spark up to 8-9k RPMs.
Andy Phillips
Vick Auto - Technician, Performance Engine Builder & PFI Developer (with ITBs)
http://www.vickauto.com
Stock parts or Performance parts we've got what you need.

Return to “Engine and Tuning”