Infuriating Oil Leak!

Keep it on topic, it will make it easier to find what you need.
Shadoobie
Your car is a: 1979 Pininfarina Spider 2000

Infuriating Oil Leak!

Postby Shadoobie » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:39 pm

So I replaced the piston rings in my '79 along with the pistons. However, I didn't tough any of the oil seals on the front as I've already replaced them all approximately 5k miles ago. I also left in the aux shaft and the crank, as I didn't see any reason to touch them at the time. I removed the camboxes and head of course, as well as the oil filter housing and the mechanical fuel pump. I also tourqued all of the bolts for everything to factory spec with a printout of the shop.manual as a guide. Now the car runs fine, but oil is somehow making its way onto the timing belt and throwing oil everywhere! After a drive of about 70 miles this weekend, the entire front of the engine bay is covered with oil and it's coming down the sides of the block from the first freeze plug forward on the exhaust and the fuel pump forward on the intake side. I've replaced the cam box gaskets and tightened the valve cover gaskets, as well as checking the cam seals. It seems like it's leaking slightly less, but still leaking. Where all can oil even leak onto the belt other than than?

kilrwail
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Sport Spider

Re: Infuriating Oil Leak!

Postby kilrwail » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:30 pm

Have you replaced the oil filler cap gasket?

1978 Fiat 124 Sport Spider - original owner
1977 Porsche 911S - track car
2022 Ram 4 x 4 - hauler
PCA National Instructor and Motorsport Safety Foundation Level 2 Instructor

Shadoobie
Your car is a: 1979 Pininfarina Spider 2000

Postby Shadoobie » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:00 am

kilrwail wrote:Have you replaced the oil filler cap gasket?

Yep. Still leaking. I honestly don't know what to do now other than pull all the pulleys off the front of the engine and checking seals all over again..

81SPIDERMATT
Your car is a: 1981 spider 2000

Postby 81SPIDERMATT » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:58 am

i have good luck in the past pressure washing everything as clean as possible and using an oil dye with a light and glasses to detect where a leak is coming from .... and if it something you do not want to do ... a local shop provides this service for about 100 bucks ... Matt

lglade
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1984 Pininfarina

Postby lglade » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:56 pm

I agree with 81SPIDERMATT. I found my leaks by pressure washing the engine and then driving just enough to get back home. It was MUCH easier to find the source of the leak when there was only small a amount of oil seepage that could then be traced back to its point of origin. A dye or similar would make is easier still, but the trick is to clear off all the other oil that makes diagnosing the leak difficult.
Lloyd Glade- Mukilteo, WA
1984 Pininfarina Spider Azzurra
1962 Fiat 500D - wife's car
2015 Subaru Outback
2017 Ford Focus RS

Return to “Engine and Tuning”